Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Quick question: is this normal???

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2012, 10:54 AM   #11
Apple_Jacker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 2

How does it taste?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2012, 06:10 AM   #12
cjeanean
Recipes 

Likes Given: 10

Finally got it racked to secondary. It's decently smooth right now, so I'm wondering how much better it'll be in a few weeks. Hubby says it tastes like a cheap flat boiler-maker, but I've never had a boiler-maker so I don't know I mixed a little apple juice concentrate into the little bit I tasted, and it's not bad; now I have an idea of what it'll be like when it's done. I'm pretty stoked!!!!! Now all I gotta do is get the bottling part ready!

Old 10-05-2012, 07:35 PM   #13
MindenMan
Recipes 

Liked 225 Times on 168 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Default New at cider question

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjeanean View Post
Finally got it racked to secondary. It's decently smooth right now, so I'm wondering how much better it'll be in a few weeks. Hubby says it tastes like a cheap flat boiler-maker, but I've never had a boiler-maker so I don't know I mixed a little apple juice concentrate into the little bit I tasted, and it's not bad; now I have an idea of what it'll be like when it's done. I'm pretty stoked!!!!! Now all I gotta do is get the bottling part ready!
My cider is 6 days old, and has not dropped the krausen yet. It took it almost three days to notice any activity, and the krausen has gotten flatter than it was two days ago. Two days ago I pulled off a tiny white spot from the krausen, and used a straw to taste the cider and it was great.
I pitched 15 ml of ESB 1968 (into one gallon of juice) into it, and having no previous experience with cider, I figured the krausen would have already dropped, and would have cleared by now. I'm guessing I should wait it out, and after the krausen clears, taste it then.

Old 10-06-2012, 04:56 PM   #14
MindenMan
Recipes 

Liked 225 Times on 168 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Default Virgin cider scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindenMan View Post
My cider is 6 days old, and has not dropped the krausen yet. It took it almost three days to notice any activity, and the krausen has gotten flatter than it was two days ago. Two days ago I pulled off a tiny white spot from the krausen, and used a straw to taste the cider and it was great.
I pitched 15 ml of ESB 1968 (into one gallon of juice) into it, and having no previous experience with cider, I figured the krausen would have already dropped, and would have cleared by now. I'm guessing I should wait it out, and after the krausen clears, taste it then.
Update: I stole a small sample of my cider this morning. When I gently moved the krausen to take a sample, there were bubbles trying to fill in the hole. The cider was less sweet than the last sample. I will now leave it alone for two more days.

Quick Reply