Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Quick question about using fresh berries...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2011, 12:13 AM   #1
CiderScot
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Quick question about using fresh berries...

I have almost 3 gallons of cider that I ran through primary fermentation and then crushed and added 3 packages of raspberries to on 10/27. I went to bottle it today and the top looks moldy but it smells fine, you can definitely smell berries.

I've used berries before but never let them sit this long and I'm wondering at this point whether this batch is safe. I'd like to bottle tonight and was hoping to get some feedback here.

Thanks.

image-787928397.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2011, 12:37 AM   #2
UpstateMike
Recipes 

Liked 103 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Are you sure that's mold and not a krausen (the foamy, meringue-like head that develops during the initial stage of beer fermentation.) Take a look at my Cider with Blackberries thread and look at the pic from day 5.

"No longer drink only water, but use a little wine for your stomach’s sake and your frequent infirmities." ~ 1 Timothy 5:23

Currently Fermenting:
Skeeter Pee
Blueberry Cider

Bottle Conditioning:
None

In Bottles / Drinking:
Cranberry Cider
Citron Cider

Old 12-23-2011, 01:00 AM   #3
CiderScot
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateMike
Are you sure that's mold and not a krausen (the foamy, meringue-like head that develops during the initial stage of beer fermentation.) Take a look at my Cider with Blackberries thread and look at the pic from day 5.
It's possible I guess. It doesn't smell bad like I said. This was a five gallon batch originally. I split almost three gallons away after the primary fermentation and kept two gallons without berries. That batch has no foamy head. Maybe the sugar in the berries resulted in further fermentation?

Old 12-23-2011, 01:01 AM   #4
UpstateMike
Recipes 

Liked 103 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiderScot View Post
Maybe the sugar in the berries resulted in further fermentation?
Probably.
"No longer drink only water, but use a little wine for your stomach’s sake and your frequent infirmities." ~ 1 Timothy 5:23

Currently Fermenting:
Skeeter Pee
Blueberry Cider

Bottle Conditioning:
None

In Bottles / Drinking:
Cranberry Cider
Citron Cider

Old 12-23-2011, 01:04 AM   #5
Atek
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 83

I'd pull a sample from under it and taste it, if it tastes alright, bottle from under it.

"Gaurd your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and out live the bastards."

Old 12-23-2011, 10:59 AM   #6
CiderScot
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atek
I'd pull a sample from under it and taste it, if it tastes alright, bottle from under it.
Ok, I did this and it tasted fine, and I'm alive and well this morning, now wrenching or vomiting! I bottled it, leaving quite a bit with the berries that I flushed down the garbage disposal. Thanks for the help guys.

Old 12-23-2011, 04:42 PM   #7
CiderScot
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiderScot

Ok, I did this and it tasted fine, and I'm alive and well this morning, now wrenching or vomiting! I bottled it, leaving quite a bit with the berries that I flushed down the garbage disposal. Thanks for the help guys.
This should read NOT wrenching or vomiting.

Old 12-23-2011, 05:17 PM   #8
GinKings
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

Adding 3 packages of berries probably did restart fermentation, but only a little bit. I believe raspberries are only about 5% sugar. They were added 8 weeks ago, so I'd be surprised if you saw krausen yesterday. I think you were right when you thought it was mold. You shouldn't leave fruit floating in your cider for that long.

Old 12-25-2011, 05:34 PM   #9
CiderScot
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinKings
Adding 3 packages of berries probably did restart fermentation, but only a little bit. I believe raspberries are only about 5% sugar. They were added 8 weeks ago, so I'd be surprised if you saw krausen yesterday. I think you were right when you thought it was mold. You shouldn't leave fruit floating in your cider for that long.
Do you think the cider I pulled from beneath and bottled is safe to drink since the sample didn't affect me though?

Old 12-25-2011, 05:39 PM   #10
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4636 Times on 3367 Posts
Likes Given: 909

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiderScot View Post
Do you think the cider I pulled from beneath and bottled is safe to drink since the sample didn't affect me though?
Yes, but watch the bottles for mold/infection. I leave berries or other fruit for 5-7 days in the cider/wine. You also had a ton of headspace there, which you don't want once fermentation slows.

You'll probably have a while before the whole batch is infected, but keep an eye out for bottle bombs and infected bottles.

Quick Reply