Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Quick Noob Q: Made cider with Munton's Dry Ale Yeast...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2008, 05:06 PM   #1
Kitchi Gumee
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Quick Noob Q: Made cider with Munton's Dry Ale Yeast...

Hey folks,

I made Edwort's Apfelwein but found out I could only get ahold of Munton's Dry Ale Yeast once I had bought all the goods, so I pitched it figuring what the heck.

At two weeks my carboy is fully cloudy but the krausen, which never got thicker than 3/4 inch, is relegated to a saucer-sized circle of bubbles in the middle. I just siphoned out a bit to check the gravity and it is only down to abou 1.044. I also had a hard time measuring the gravity because there were a million little bubbles rising as if the sample had been bottle carbonated or something.

So my question is, will this work out alright? Can this yeast get me down to a reasonable final gravity? Am I just being impatient and my gravity is fine for this time frame?

I don't mind if it doesn't get down to .998 like Edwort's with the Montrachet yeast, but since I went through the trouble of throwing in the corn sugar I figure I'd like to get a decent kick out of this stuff.

Thanks alot for the help!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2008, 05:09 PM   #2
BigKahuna
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 6

STEP AWAY FROM THE APFELWEIN.
that yeast will do fine...but really...don't take that air lock out again! It's there for a reason...and every time you jack with it...you're inviting bugs into your brew.

Wait till it's CLEAR...4 weeks MINIMUM! Longer is better.

I'll bet you end up with some pretty tasty stuff!

Old 10-02-2008, 05:20 PM   #3
Kitchi Gumee
Recipes 

Hahaha, alright...that's what I needed to hear. I'll shut the closet door and forget about it.

Old 10-02-2008, 05:26 PM   #4
Special Hops
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

It's fine. I got a batch going right now. Started about 3 weeks ago and it is still cloudy as hell. It should clear up in another week or two.

Old 10-02-2008, 07:09 PM   #5
Tusch
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Also future reference, the bubbles in your SG sample will definitely affect your SG readings. They provide lift or buoyancy for the hydrometer, creating a reading higher then the true reading. If there are bubbles in your sample, try spinning the hydrometer, it should at the least shake the bubbles off the hydrometer itself, providing a more accurate reading.

Quick Reply