Questions about nottingham

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all, new to the cider world. Made a cider 3 weeks ago but forgot to take an OG. It's still in the fermenter and I'll be bottling sometime this week. I used Nottingham with 3 gallons of apple juice, 0.5 gallons cherry juice, and 2 cups of brown sugar in the primary. I plan on fermenting it out to its max (its at 1.005 right now) then bottling and pasteurizing using the stove-top method described here. I'd like a sparkling cider. Will I need to back sweeten with nottingham or will there be enough residual sugar? If I do add sugar (ie cherry juice) will the yeast wake up for carbonation considering it has all ready fully attenuated? Thanks for the input!

I've taken Nottingham to 11 - 12 % ABV no problem. Don't know what your ABV is, but I don't think you have exceeded that. Should be Ok just adding backsweeten and let it carb.

The yeast should wake up, yes. If you're paranoid, you could even swirl the racking cane around slightly when racking to your bottling bucket to make sure you pick up a small amount of yeast, but really, there are still billions of cells in suspension at the end of a ferment.

I have never had a cider that was at all sweet without (a) backsweetening, (b) cold-crashing, or (c) sorbate+sulfiting. It sounds like you have a good plan.

Back