Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Question on first cider batches, bit of head scratching going on.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2012, 06:43 PM   #1
Stilgar
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Belfair, Washington
Posts: 66
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default Question on first cider batches, bit of head scratching going on.

So I decided to add hard cider to my brew list and my fiance wanted to join in as well. We both started a cider at the same time using different yeast and sugar. My brewstore I normally buy my yeast from sadly was out of their cider yeast so I opted for the Red Star Champagne Yeast and used light brown sugar for my cider(the juice for both was store bought) Hers was more simply what do we have in the kitchen, which was white sugar and Flieschman's dry active yeast.. We let these both sit undisturbed for two weeks. Her starting OG was 1.070 and mine 1.080. Yesterday was the 2 week mark and when we took a reading her cider came back with roughly .990-.995 and mine sat right at 1.000.


Having not made cider and seeing those readings does this mean we could/should start bottling it, or move to secondary, wait xdays and bottle? Haven't had a hydro reading move that quickly so wasn't sure. Her cider has begun to clear, not enough you can read a paper through it but enough you can see through while mine remains fairly dark and cloudy with very light bubbles atop the 1gal carboy where hers is very still.

As always any and all help/advice is welcomed and appreciated. Thank you.

__________________
Stilgar is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2012, 06:48 PM   #2
Face Eater
I brew beer....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
 
Face Eater's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 734
Liked 43 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Hers should be done being that low and yours may finish slightly lower. You may want to check the gravity in 3 days to see if they are at a stable number. When they are consistent 3 days apart you can bottle. Do you want a carbonated cider or still/flat cider? Also you can let it sit in the primary longer for clarification.

__________________
Face Eater is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2012, 07:07 PM   #3
Stilgar
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Belfair, Washington
Posts: 66
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default

Thank you. I was debating letting mine sit until it cleared as I wanted to avoid using anything to do it. We were wanting to carbonate yes. Would be a first doing so, but willing to try and pray for no explosions.

__________________
Stilgar is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2012, 07:11 PM   #4
FuzzeWuzze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
FuzzeWuzze's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Hillsboro, OR
Posts: 2,149
Liked 235 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stilgar View Post
Thank you. I was debating letting mine sit until it cleared as I wanted to avoid using anything to do it. We were wanting to carbonate yes. Would be a first doing so, but willing to try and pray for no explosions.
As long as your fermentation has stopped and your gravity readings are steady for several days you should be fine assuming you use the proper amount of sugar.

I think most people use the same amount as they would for most beers, which is like 4oz per 5 gallons.
__________________
FuzzeWuzze is offline
Stilgar Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2012, 07:17 PM   #5
Face Eater
I brew beer....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
 
Face Eater's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 734
Liked 43 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

As long as fermentation is complete and you don't use to much sugar you shouldn't have any problems. 4-5 oz corn sugar should be a good typical amount for a 5 gallon batch. Also make sure you use decent (thick) bottles. I have had some cheap bottles crack on me.

__________________
Face Eater is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2012, 07:19 PM   #6
JeepDiver
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Highlands Ranch, CO
Posts: 1,322
Liked 143 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

If you bottle your cider at the 2 week mark you probably aren't going to like the reults. It will more than likely be like rocket fuel. Best to give it 2-3 month to mellow out.

__________________
JeepDiver is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2012, 07:49 PM   #7
Zippox
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 260
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default

Is there anything wrong with bottling it early like at the 2 week mark and then just wait three months till drinking or does it make a big difference to let it mellow out in the carboy before bottling?

__________________
Zippox is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2012, 09:17 PM   #8
JeepDiver
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Highlands Ranch, CO
Posts: 1,322
Liked 143 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

IMHO it is better to bulk age. If you need the carboy you can bottle but it may take longer to mellow

__________________
JeepDiver is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2012, 11:15 PM   #9
Stilgar
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Belfair, Washington
Posts: 66
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default

Moved both over to secondary, decided will give it some time to sit before bottling. Gave both a taste, hers definitely needs to mellow out some as it's fairly bitter, mine taste more like a sparkling cider, not too dry and still a tad sweet so should mellow nicely I think. Thanks again to for all the suggestions and help!

__________________
Stilgar is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2012, 01:29 AM   #10
Stilgar
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Belfair, Washington
Posts: 66
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default

Just an update and possible concern.

roughly 9 days since racking and all seemed fine with both brews. Hers remains nice and clear, mine is still cloudy with a few thin spots here and there of bubbles on the surface. But I noticed today what looked like a possibly(though very small) spore. I could be wrong as it wasn't green or yellow. It was an off white, I thought it could have been a cluster of bubbled so I gently tilted the carboy but it stayed intact. I was able to remove it with siphoning hose (after sanitizing it) as a precaution and now am not sure how to proceed. Do I transfer a 3rd time siphoning from the middle, do I wait and see if any more spores appear(if indeed it was mold) There is no sourness or off smell/taste. It still smells extremely good and taste is spot on. Just a bit concerned as to where I should go from here. Any help/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

__________________
Stilgar is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2 bad batches of fro co cider highjumphero Cider Forum 5 06-06-2012 01:12 AM
Questions about larger batches of cider arringtonbp Cider Forum 4 08-15-2011 03:03 PM
Cider in large batches. MattyD Cider Forum 2 10-22-2010 08:54 PM
Thank you CvilleKevin & All - First Cider Batches & some Q's patriqq Cider Forum 2 10-17-2010 04:47 PM
2 batches of CIDER!!! xcrusader Cider Forum 5 03-07-2008 06:41 AM