Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Cider Forum (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/)
-   -   Question on first cider batches, bit of head scratching going on. (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/question-first-cider-batches-bit-head-scratching-going-346002/)

Stilgar 08-06-2012 06:43 PM

Question on first cider batches, bit of head scratching going on.
 
So I decided to add hard cider to my brew list and my fiance wanted to join in as well. We both started a cider at the same time using different yeast and sugar. My brewstore I normally buy my yeast from sadly was out of their cider yeast so I opted for the Red Star Champagne Yeast and used light brown sugar for my cider(the juice for both was store bought) Hers was more simply what do we have in the kitchen, which was white sugar and Flieschman's dry active yeast.. We let these both sit undisturbed for two weeks. Her starting OG was 1.070 and mine 1.080. Yesterday was the 2 week mark and when we took a reading her cider came back with roughly .990-.995 and mine sat right at 1.000.


Having not made cider and seeing those readings does this mean we could/should start bottling it, or move to secondary, wait xdays and bottle? Haven't had a hydro reading move that quickly so wasn't sure. Her cider has begun to clear, not enough you can read a paper through it but enough you can see through while mine remains fairly dark and cloudy with very light bubbles atop the 1gal carboy where hers is very still.

As always any and all help/advice is welcomed and appreciated. Thank you.

Face Eater 08-06-2012 06:48 PM

Hers should be done being that low and yours may finish slightly lower. You may want to check the gravity in 3 days to see if they are at a stable number. When they are consistent 3 days apart you can bottle. Do you want a carbonated cider or still/flat cider? Also you can let it sit in the primary longer for clarification.

Stilgar 08-06-2012 07:07 PM

Thank you. I was debating letting mine sit until it cleared as I wanted to avoid using anything to do it. We were wanting to carbonate yes. Would be a first doing so, but willing to try and pray for no explosions.

FuzzeWuzze 08-06-2012 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stilgar (Post 4309599)
Thank you. I was debating letting mine sit until it cleared as I wanted to avoid using anything to do it. We were wanting to carbonate yes. Would be a first doing so, but willing to try and pray for no explosions.

As long as your fermentation has stopped and your gravity readings are steady for several days you should be fine assuming you use the proper amount of sugar.

I think most people use the same amount as they would for most beers, which is like 4oz per 5 gallons.

Face Eater 08-06-2012 07:17 PM

As long as fermentation is complete and you don't use to much sugar you shouldn't have any problems. 4-5 oz corn sugar should be a good typical amount for a 5 gallon batch. Also make sure you use decent (thick) bottles. I have had some cheap bottles crack on me.

JeepDiver 08-06-2012 07:19 PM

If you bottle your cider at the 2 week mark you probably aren't going to like the reults. It will more than likely be like rocket fuel. Best to give it 2-3 month to mellow out.

Zippox 08-06-2012 07:49 PM

Is there anything wrong with bottling it early like at the 2 week mark and then just wait three months till drinking or does it make a big difference to let it mellow out in the carboy before bottling?

JeepDiver 08-06-2012 09:17 PM

IMHO it is better to bulk age. If you need the carboy you can bottle but it may take longer to mellow

Stilgar 08-06-2012 11:15 PM

Moved both over to secondary, decided will give it some time to sit before bottling. Gave both a taste, hers definitely needs to mellow out some as it's fairly bitter, mine taste more like a sparkling cider, not too dry and still a tad sweet so should mellow nicely I think. Thanks again to for all the suggestions and help!

Stilgar 08-16-2012 01:29 AM

Just an update and possible concern.

roughly 9 days since racking and all seemed fine with both brews. Hers remains nice and clear, mine is still cloudy with a few thin spots here and there of bubbles on the surface. But I noticed today what looked like a possibly(though very small) spore. I could be wrong as it wasn't green or yellow. It was an off white, I thought it could have been a cluster of bubbled so I gently tilted the carboy but it stayed intact. I was able to remove it with siphoning hose (after sanitizing it) as a precaution and now am not sure how to proceed. Do I transfer a 3rd time siphoning from the middle, do I wait and see if any more spores appear(if indeed it was mold) There is no sourness or off smell/taste. It still smells extremely good and taste is spot on. Just a bit concerned as to where I should go from here. Any help/suggestions are greatly appreciated.


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:57 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.