Last week to Enter the Spike Brewing 20 Gallon Sight Glass Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Question: Adding flavours to cider?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2010, 11:03 AM   #1
Priemus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Question: Adding flavours to cider?

Ive made a few hundred leters of Cider (edwort style) over the last 2 years, I just started a tiny little 4.5 leter mini brew yesterday with some left over juice and yeast and my GF requested I flavour it this time with something.

She suggested I throw some Raspberry cordial into it, or some Ribena.

Im actually just not sure how that would work?

So question is, is there any benfit with adding these flavours to the Cider now at day 2 of primary fermentation, is it better to just add it at bottling, or, i suspect, if you want blackcurrent flavour in your cider from cordial you add it to the glass after you poured it out of the bottle

Any constructive tips appreciated. Keep in mind that I dont have an abundant supply of fresh fruit and it costs a small fortune here from the supermarket (Norway).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2010, 11:30 AM   #2
Mcduff
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

These sound like great ideas. I would however not add any cordials to the cider while it is fermenting as that would also add alcohol which will hasten the yeasts death. Unless you want that of course. Let us know how this works for you.

Cheers,
Mcduff

Old 05-23-2010, 06:34 PM   #3
CandleWineProject
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I was just talking to someone else about Pearson's Square... Basically, it is how you fortify wine and cider. In fact, pommeau is apple juice (not fermented) with brandy added to stabilize it and then aged for awhile in oak.

I was at a winemaker's convention that suggested making fruit wines at low alcohols, and then adding hard liquor and a bit of sugar to balance the increased alcohol. I might use juice in that case if it didn't cloud too much.

So, you really have lots of options, but look into Pearson Square to calculate alcohol content and stability.

Quick Reply