Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Question about Malolactic Fermentation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2008, 09:35 PM   #1
curbdawg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Question about Malolactic Fermentation

Quick question about the malolactic fermentation. One of my ciders has been sitting in secondary for a few weeks now. It has cleared nicely and FG is about 1.006. OG was 1.066. I am in the process of cold crashing it and then was planning on keeping it in the basement to age a little. During the malolactic stage should the cider be bunged completely or still airlocked??

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2008, 10:27 PM   #2
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 13 Posts

I suppose it could be bunged, but I wouldn't chance it and airlock it. I was under the impression that malolactic only happens with fresh press juice fermented with the wild yeast, and even then isn't guaranteed. What steps did you take to makes you sure it would udergo malolactic fermentation?

Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Old 12-10-2008, 07:37 AM   #3
amasterjedi
Recipes 

We ferment using only the wild yeast, when we move to secondary we add brown sugar around 250grams to 25 litres and yes an airlock then leave for next year in the garage to age. Apparantly (so we have been told) when the warmer weather gets here we will then get a malolactic fermentation i think the temp talked about for this was 15-17 degrees C. Hope this helps

Old 12-10-2008, 01:56 PM   #4
curbdawg
Recipes 

I used fresh pressed juice. Well lets just say if i was going to let it age without bottling should I bung it or airlock it?

Old 12-10-2008, 01:59 PM   #5
Tusch
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

I would suggest airlocking, since you probably at least have some co2 in suspension even if fermentation is completely done.

Quick Reply