Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Question about apple wine/cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2012, 10:09 PM   #1
Dan2276
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Question about apple wine/cider

Hello all,

Thanks for entertaining this newbie question in advance. I picked apples from my back yard, juiced them, and have started the fermentation process.

I only got about 3 gallons of must. My thought is to torn this into apple wine, and then add more non hard cider to to bring the alcohol level to about 5-6 percent, as a way to stretch the batch. It seems this is what Crispin does. Any thoughts as to the viability of this?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2012, 05:18 AM   #2
MoonDawg
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Be sure to "Bottle" Pasteurize your Applewine, otherwise adding "Non hard cider" will prolong fermentation and increase ABV%. (Depending on the Alcohol tolerance of the yeast you're using.)

Old 09-17-2012, 12:21 PM   #3
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 712 Times on 499 Posts
Likes Given: 1778

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan2276 View Post
Hello all,

Thanks for entertaining this newbie question in advance. I picked apples from my back yard, juiced them, and have started the fermentation process.

I only got about 3 gallons of must. My thought is to torn this into apple wine, and then add more non hard cider to to bring the alcohol level to about 5-6 percent, as a way to stretch the batch. It seems this is what Crispin does. Any thoughts as to the viability of this?
Well, sure, you could do that; I'm not sure why you'd want to though. Seems like you'd be adding an extra step where you don't need one. If you're going to add more juice/sweet cider to your must, why not just ferment it all in one shot?

Depending on the sugar content of your apples, you should only get about 5% without any added sugar. Use an ale yeast & it should ferment out dry, with plenty of apple flavour. You can always boost the sugar content & thereby the ABV with added sugar in various forms if you want, a lot of us do.

If you were actually wanting to backsweeten, you'll have to either use a nonfermentable sweetener or pasteurize once carb has been reached; or keep it still.
Regards, GF.

Old 09-17-2012, 05:57 PM   #4
Dan2276
Recipes 

Well the thought process is that I could get more cider, given that the apples in my backyard only yielded 3.5 gallons and I have a 6 gallon carboy. Why not up the alcohol and carbonate/back sweeten with cider, to yield more drinkable product.

Old 09-17-2012, 05:58 PM   #5
Dan2276
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gratus fermentatio View Post
Well, sure, you could do that; I'm not sure why you'd want to though. Seems like you'd be adding an extra step where you don't need one. If you're going to add more juice/sweet cider to your must, why not just ferment it all in one shot?

Depending on the sugar content of your apples, you should only get about 5% without any added sugar. Use an ale yeast & it should ferment out dry, with plenty of apple flavour. You can always boost the sugar content & thereby the ABV with added sugar in various forms if you want, a lot of us do.

If you were actually wanting to backsweeten, you'll have to either use a nonfermentable sweetener or pasteurize once carb has been reached; or keep it still.
Regards, GF.
Well the thought process is that I could get more cider, given that the apples in my backyard only yielded 3.5 gallons and I have a 6 gallon carboy. Why not up the alcohol and carbonate/back sweeten with cider, to yield more drinkable product.

Quick Reply