Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Puzzled- fermentation not starting ??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2011, 06:57 PM   #1
kramer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Puzzled- fermentation not starting ??

I've done multiple beers, wines, all grains, malts, meeds....... with no problems. However, yesterday I decided to goof around and make a quick apple cider.

I took a gallon of cider, added maybe a pound of sugar (dissolved in warm water) and mixed in some wine yeast (can go to 18%)... mixed things up, measured an OG of 1.9, and put an air-lock on. Pretty basic...fructose, sucrose water and yeast. Okay....but 24 hours later, I'm getting no CO2, thus no conversion of sugar to ethanol and co2. ?? This is such a simple recipe and I was just something to mess around with for fun....I can't figure out what's going on. I know the yeast is good as I've got 15 gallons of various libations fermenting in the garage using the same yeast.

Ideas?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2011, 07:00 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

I've noticed my ciders and apfelweins are usually slow to get started.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-24-2011, 07:39 PM   #3
UpstateMike
Recipes 

Liked 103 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Did the cider have preservatives? How much is "some wine yeast"? Dry or liquid yeast? How long has it been since you used this yeast? What temperature is the cider?

"No longer drink only water, but use a little wine for your stomach’s sake and your frequent infirmities." ~ 1 Timothy 5:23

Currently Fermenting:
Skeeter Pee
Blueberry Cider

Bottle Conditioning:
None

In Bottles / Drinking:
Cranberry Cider
Citron Cider

Old 12-26-2011, 07:18 PM   #4
SixPants
Recipes 

Interesting... I just had a similar problem but with ale yeast, no sugar added, but never had any issues before.

So I grabbed a travel mug, threw in warm cider and yeast, waited 3 hours and dumped it into the cider.

And no, I didn't sanitize so God alone knows what's going to crawl out of that bottle. I figured it was a lost cause.

Anyway, an hour later I'm getting pretty good activity visually (lots of bubbles) but haven't timed the airlock yet.

Quick Reply