Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Pumpkin apple cider ideas

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2012, 04:00 AM   #11
agent44
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unferth View Post
A couple of the pumpkin ale recipes in the vegetable beer section use raw pumpkin, but they cook it first. I don't see why you couldn't do it like a wine and purée it or dice it, then use it if you wanted to keep it raw.

Personally, I don't like the taste of raw pumpkin, but when it's cooked, even without spices, it tastes much better.

Just had a Howe Sound Pumpkineater imperial ale last night. They make it out to the island yet?

Pretty darn good, but I'm definitely going for a different flavor profile in my cider.
Wow that sounds great! But I have developed a gluten intolerance so I stick to wine and cider now, But I do buy the Howe sound swing top bottles from the bottle depot for all my brewing now!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2012, 07:14 AM   #12
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 960 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1763

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent44 View Post
I've got some raw frozen pumpkin in my freezer someone gave to me last year, I was curious about a pumpkin cider as well, but using raw pumpkin, might have to add to the experiment list
You would probably get a good amount of the flavor out in any event. The ice crystals that formed when it froze will have almost certainly made swiss cheese out of the cells in the pumpkin. That means more flavor compounds will be released, and a lot more moisture.

I'm with Unferth on this one though. I think raw pumpkin tastes like crap. Cooking it totally alters the flavor, in my opinion, for the better.

Old 09-23-2012, 07:25 AM   #13
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unferth View Post
I'm thinking I might need to wrap my racking tube end cap in cheese cloth or something... It's some ooey gooey stuff down there
I don't think that is a great idea. Your liable to clog it almost immediately with all that sediment. Maybe siphon off conservatively. Then poor the rest of the material into a cheese cloth bag and hang that over a bucket to catch the liquid?

Old 09-25-2012, 07:43 PM   #14
Unferth
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Well, It ain't clear, that's for sure. But it has a wonderful aroma of pumpkin pie, and the taste is very good despite it's obvious youth. Current SG is at 1.013, still going pretty strongly.

photo-4.jpg   photo-3.jpg  
Old 09-26-2012, 04:11 AM   #15
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Taste is far more important then looks anyway. At least that's what she said...

Unferth Likes This 
Old 10-01-2012, 10:57 PM   #16
ZackN
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

This looks, well sounds really good, it looks a little bit like a jug of mud, but i think i am going to do this. I just made my 1st cider (made it wrong, but now i know) and once i keg and carbonate it i think im going to get this going and hopefully have it done in time for thanksgiving!
Thanks for the inspiration!

Old 10-02-2012, 03:33 PM   #17
Unferth
Recipes 

Good Luck! if this one turns out as well as i think it will, i'll post it in the recipes section. So far mine is doing well.

A word of caution however: Unless you take the pumpkin goop off the bottom when racking, you will definitely loose some volume. I racked it last night and had to top up with another gallon of AJ. The taste was very full bodied and autumnish.

I will definitely add some spices when bottling, too. They have faded since fermentation slowed. Keep us posted on your developments.

Old 10-02-2012, 06:18 PM   #18
MNDan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I'd skip adding pumpkin to this all together - you really just need to add the spices. My fav pumpkin beer recipe has no pumpkin in it at all, but you'd never know it by tasting it. Pure pumpkin pie goodness. I use the Penzy's pumpkin spice mix.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:59 AM   #19
TAPPAR
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I started up a gallon of this. Doing everything the same but I am waiting to add the spices until the secondary. Also didn't mix the pumpkin in with the malt when I boiled everything (no real reason, just forgot and added it to the carboy first.

Looking forward to this one

Old 10-23-2012, 11:29 PM   #20
Unferth
Recipes 

Time for an update, finally.

I bottled the Pumpkin Cider about a week and a half ago. The FG was at 1.00, making this in the est 6.5- 7.0% ABV range. at bottling I added:
1 tbsp cinnamon
1/2 tbsp allspice
1/2 tbsp nutmeg
2 tsp ginger
1 cup dextrose.

1.5 weeks later, I have a not fully carbonated and still young cider that is definitely different from any cider I've ever tasted. The nose is very full and fresh smelling, the hops are unnoticable. It has much more body than a juice+sugar+yeast cider and a strong pumpkin smell and full appely/pumpkin taste--without being overpoweringly pumpkin. It is on the drier side of cider (more tart than strongbow and definitely drier than woodchuck, but not nearly Apfelwein style dry). Obviously, someone could backsweeten and pasteurize if desired.

As you can see, there is a nice orange hue to the brew, and it is surprisingly clear considering the extreme cloudiness during secondary (see above).

It is still young, and I'm planning to wait until Thanksgiving to crack another (if I can stand it), but even this young it is darn good cider. I can see that this will be an autumn staple.

photo-10-23-12-4.04-pm-2.jpg   photo-10-23-12-4.04-pm.jpg  

Quick Reply