Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Priming Sugar

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2005, 06:38 PM   #1
mrzud
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Priming Sugar

What types of sugar do you use for priming?

Ive heard of using different types of sugar... do the different types create a noticable taste difference?

Are there any types of sugar that are recommended or any that I should stay away from?

thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2005, 12:38 AM   #2
mrzud
Recipes 

Come on guys and gals, share your opinions and wisdom.

Old 08-30-2005, 03:20 AM   #3
AlaskaAl(e)
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

On the few occassions (sp?) I have bottled I've just used plain old dextrose. Everyone I've ever talked to has used it and no one has ever had anything bad to say about it. I think the idea is that dextrose is just a simple, usable sugar that doesn't impart any flavor and just lets the yeasties do their thang and make CO2.

Old 08-30-2005, 08:11 PM   #4
mrzud
Recipes 

Thanks for the info

Old 09-02-2005, 03:25 AM   #5
tempted-fate
Recipes 

What is priming sugar?

Old 09-03-2005, 02:35 PM   #6
Daneaux
Recipes 

Priming sugar is using 3/4 cup of corn sugar to 5 gal. of homebrew to be added just before bottling or 1/3 cup before kegging. Most people let this sit in the bottle for about 10 days and this will produce the wanted co2 that creates the bubbles and head. The trick is to wait the 10 days.

All I have ever used is corn sugar. According to Charlie Pap. regular table sugar isnt as effective as corn sugar. Mostly all I use is corny kegs and I pump up the co2 for a couple of days and there is more carbonation than I need. I pour into a pitcher and let it settle until there is a small layer of head. With this procedure I dont even use priming sugar in my kegs any more. Only if I bottle.

Old 09-04-2005, 05:31 PM   #7
mrzud
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daneaux
Mostly all I use is corny kegs and I pump up the co2 for a couple of days and there is more carbonation than I need. I pour into a pitcher and let it settle until there is a small layer of head. With this procedure I dont even use priming sugar in my kegs any more. Only if I bottle.
So you dont have to worry about hooking up any CO2 tanks or hand pumps to get the pressure needed to dispense?

Old 09-04-2005, 07:06 PM   #8
Daneaux
Recipes 

The co2 tank is hooked up to the kegs to dispense the beer. Usually the suggested amount of psi to pour the beer from the tap is 3-5 lbs. of co2. When you first put the beer in the keg instead of adding 1/3 cup sugar to prime which helps with natural carbonation I like to add 30-40- psi to the keg. This will aid in sealing the o-ring at the top and will make the beer really foamy in about 7-10 days. The pressure will fall slightly if the keg has no leaks and the pressure inside will be about 20 psi when I am thirsty. I keep it cold in the kegerator and when I am ready I will tap the beer which comes out fast and bubbly so I let it sit in a pitcher for 2-3minutes and pour a pint and the rest is imperial stout heaven. I recommend picking up the book THE COMPLETE JOY OF HOMEBREWING. His way of priming and kegging are the basics and my way is the way I like to do it. I know ever one does it their way the only rule is not to use more sugar than recomended. Pop goes the bottle!!!!

Last edited by Daneaux; 09-04-2005 at 07:08 PM.

Old 09-05-2005, 09:04 AM   #9
Spoonta
Recipes 

Default in oz

when priming my bottles we have this great little things made by coppers called carbon drops the wright amount every time no fuss it cut my bottling time down by half

Primary
blonde ale & Belgium Ale
Secondary #1
Empty
Bottled
Corona & Coopers Ginger beer
Kegged
Kolsh & Hopped Pale Ale

Quick Reply