*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Priming Sugar

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2009, 02:10 PM   #1
NPwino
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Priming Sugar

How much priming sugar and of what type should I add to my hard cider when bottling to produce carbonation?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2009, 03:34 PM   #2
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 13 Posts

I use .8oz cane (table) sugar per gallon of finished cider to bottle carbonate, boiled in a small amount of water to sterilize.

Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Old 11-04-2009, 05:43 PM   #3
gilrain
Recipes 

I've seen a few people mention that, sterilizing their sugar by boiling. I could be wrong, but I think sugar, and things high in sugar (like honey), are hydrophiles. This means, in unscientific terms, that they draw water powerfully to themselves. That in turn makes it very difficult for organisms to live in or around them. They are killed by their water being leeched from them by the sugar. This is why honey, candy, and other things high in sugar don't require preservatives and keep almost forever.

Therefore, as long as your measuring equipment, funnels, or whatever are sterilized, I don't think it's necessary to actually sterilize the sugar. I don't, anyway. Not that it matters much, but hey, why add water to a good drink if you don't have to?

Old 11-04-2009, 07:26 PM   #4
wreckinball9
Recipes 

its also for ease of mixing. you add the sugar water to your bottling bucket before you rack your cider to it. it should mix in evenly. otherwise you have to measure it out separately for each bottle.

You must love this country more than I love a cold beer on a hot Christmas morning. - Homer S.

And how is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?- Homer S.

Old 11-04-2009, 07:48 PM   #5
gilrain
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckinball9 View Post
its also for ease of mixing. you add the sugar water to your bottling bucket before you rack your cider to it. it should mix in evenly. otherwise you have to measure it out separately for each bottle.
Ah, yeah, that makes sense. I'll probably do the same, if I ever make a carbonated batch, come to think of it.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:42 PM   #6
rustang64
Recipes 

I use 2/3 cup raw blond cane sugar for 5 gal batches and just work it out from there for larger or smaller batches. Stir into just enough boiling water to dissolve the sugar then add to the bottling bucket and rack into it.

Quick Reply