Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > priming sugar

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2009, 02:38 AM   #1
Talcottsk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default priming sugar

How much sugar should I put into a 1 gallon batch of apple cider, when bottling to ensure carbonation, but not explosion? What factors should I be concerned about?
any advice you can give will be appreciated

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2009, 03:09 AM   #2
yeastluvr
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm not an expert as I'm only on my 4th batch of cider. All my research says your to use 3/4 cup sugar "I use corn sugar" per 5 gallons. So, if you do the math for 1 gallon you should use around 2 1/2 Tablespoons of sugar for the gallon. I just primed and bottled 2.5 gallons today using this rule, I cant tell you how it turned out yet....its only been 5 hours in the bottle.

As long as the fermentation is done and its not still bubbling away....you shouldn't have any bombs. a hydrometer reading could help with this, but I've had good luck letting it sit for several days maybe a week after no signs of bubbling and you should be fine.

Old 04-06-2009, 04:31 AM   #3
Tusch
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Confirm with a hydrometer that it is completely fermented and then use 1 oz of priming sugar per gallon.

Quick Reply