Last week to Enter the Spike Brewing 20 Gallon Sight Glass Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Priming with Apple Juice

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2011, 03:20 AM   #31
tnbrewer371
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

just popped a bottle of my third batch of cider and surprisingly enough my tweaking is complete, i mean complete complete no more tweaking ever, 3.5 gallon recipe, primed with one can of thawed apple juice concentrate, no gushers, carbed like champagne very bubbly, my swmbo said its the best cider she has ever had good apple taste, some residual sweetness but not to much to where you couldnt drink a whole mess of these if you wanted to although at probably close to ~10% abv i think youd be hard pressed to but the alcohol taste hides nicely in the cider, and carbed like a fine champagne, i wont change a thing that is for sure.
so in review i say go ahead and carb with juice concentrate i think its the only way to go, and i used an entire can for 3.5 gallons of cider. no bottle bombs here....yet, cider has been in the bottle at room temp (68F) for over 17 days now so i think im safe. good luck pm if you have any other questions about my processes.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2011, 05:49 PM   #32
DBear
Recipes 

Thanks tnbrewer371

I have a 5gal 1.040 sasion that is at 1.006. I was thinking of using Muscat grape concentrate listed at 68 degree brix per 100 grams solution.

I have no idea how to covert these numbers to get to ounces of concentrate for 3vols carbonation in a 5 gal branch. Some quesitons:
- what would this add to the flavor profile
- I'm not looking for 'champane-like carbonation
- How long to reach full carbonation

-Cheers

Old 01-10-2011, 07:07 PM   #33
tnbrewer371
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

if your not looking for champagne like carbonation i would consider using just one can of juice concentrate for the 5 gal i used a full can of juice concentrate for 3.5 gal and its very bubbly like champagne. it adds some backsweetening and some serious carbonation like a champagne, doing it this way and leaving the bottles at room temp (68F) mine carbed quick in like 18 days or so even with leaving the juice in primary for three months. i really liked the results with this and will from here out only carb my ciders this way. let me know if i didnt answer all your questions and please let me know how this turns out

Old 04-09-2013, 07:14 PM   #34
high5apparatus
Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 59

I've read this entire thread and thanks everyone for the math, trial and error, and followups. I'm bottling my latest batch of Apfelwein in the next couple of days and I'm going with the apple juice concentrate. Cheers!

Manta Brewing
Bottled: Chili Beer, Bourbon Aged Apfelwein Cider
Fermentation: Bourbon Honey Ale, Olde English IPA
Pipeline: Citra Pounding XIPA, Vanilla Cream Ale
http://www.brewtoad.com/users/10067

Quick Reply