The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Priming with Apple Juice

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2007, 01:57 AM   #11
Beerrific
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I looked some and it looks like others have used about 1/4 gallon of juice to prime. That is 32 ounces. That is what you said.

I think almost all the sugar in apple juice is fermentable...well within the margin of error that we can handle.

So if a can of concentrate makes 1/2 gallon of juice, I will use half a can.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2007, 02:00 AM   #12
Sir Humpsalot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 22

You da man!!!

And actually, since this will be an on-going thing for me, I suppose there will always be opportunity to adjust it...

Old 09-27-2010, 07:30 PM   #13
jbrookeiv
Beer Review Dude
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I know this thread is dead as doornails, but any concensus on this?

My Beer Review Blog: Beer Review Dude
My Craft Beer Social Network: Craft Beer Network

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrewtastic View Post
I think a more pertinent question is where is AB and Miller Coors getting all of their horse urine?
Primary: Belgian Pale Ale w. Brett | Saison | Mango Pulp Wine | Graff, 10 gal

Bottled / Kegged: Hopped Imperial Wheat | AK47 Pale Mild, BIAB | AHS 20th Anniv. IPA, No Chill | Apfelwein
Leftover IIPA, No Chill | All-Molasses Ale | BIAB Black IPA | BIAB Hoppy Stout | JAOM | RyePA

Old 09-28-2010, 01:06 AM   #14
Torchiest

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I made a batch back in 2007 and primed with 44oz, and it came out great.

#48 Black Helicopter Porter #49 Pikemen Porter
Up Next:
#50 Imperious IPA
#51 Razz Buried

Old 09-30-2010, 12:56 AM   #15
wildman
Recipes 

i will only prime with apple juice concentrate. it ferments quickly, it adds flavor, its cheap, it never contains preservatives, and since its made in a factory its is as sterile as it needs to be.

Old 09-30-2010, 11:51 PM   #16
Torchiest

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Using pasteurized apple juice is fine. It's free of contaminants.

#48 Black Helicopter Porter #49 Pikemen Porter
Up Next:
#50 Imperious IPA
#51 Razz Buried

Old 10-01-2010, 03:56 AM   #17
Schecter
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Perhaps, instead of priming, just don't let the cider/Apfelwein ferment dry and bottle before it hits its FG.

On deck: Bee Cave Brewery Kolsch, Cottage House Saison

Old 10-07-2010, 04:12 AM   #18
evlgenius74
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I always use 1 can of concentrate per 5 gallons of brew and it works great!

Old 10-30-2010, 10:22 AM   #19
lanceearlhaines
Recipes 

I suppose one could use weight in grams of sugar rather than % by volume (hydrometer). The juice concentrates list grams of sugar and although it is a mix of fructose and other sugars they are all ferment-able. So by knowing the weight of corn sugar (glucose) normally used to prime the desired amount of co2, you can use the equivalent in grams of the concentrate syrup by dividing the total grams in the can by the #of grams of fructose needed. this will give you the fraction of the can you need to use. As far as its contribution to more apple flavor I have no idea. I am bottling tomorrow and have decided to try this concentrate method to prime my cider in the hopes of adding more flavor. It turned out very dry and has been aging in secondary for about a year with oak and cinnamon. I used KV-1116 and the flavor is ok with great cinnamon bouquet but i want a little more apple to my apple cider. I have even contemplated trying to find a artificial apple flavor concentrate, or just boiling a bunch of apple jolly rancher candies down. I saved the trub for yeast from the primary and will repitch a quarter of a cup of slurry that has been reproofed at the priming temp with the juice concentrate and some yeast nutrients so they will be off and running to prime. I think my flavor issue is due to the strain of yeast I used. I will also be adding a bit of splenda, starting off light like half a cup because i have a feeling the concentrate sugars will all turn into alcohol and co2. I'll re-post in a week or so to tell how it turned out. Man, cider is for the patient. Next time I am going to use an ale yeast and stop fermentation at a desired FG after bottle priming using a pasteurization technique. I am not sure if I can age this for a year like I did the fully attenuated stuff though. and the oak and cinnamon if put into the primary might not have the time to infuse their flavor. I plan to make apple jack by freezing with some of this 5.5 gallon batch too. I'll figure the weight numbers out and post it soon.

Last edited by lanceearlhaines; 10-30-2010 at 11:45 AM.

Old 10-30-2010, 12:23 PM   #20
lanceearlhaines
Recipes 

So the concentrate I have has 27 grams of sugar per serving and there are 6 servings in the can. That's 27x6= 162g's per can divided by 28.35g/oz= 5.7 oz by weight of apple sugars. Using a monogram conversion chart in Palmer's "How To Brew" for a 5 gallon volume, at 70 degrees F using sucrose as a reference should yield 3.25 volumes of CO2 for the entire can of concentrate. This is about what a German wheat beer has and is on the higher side of carbonation, which I want in order to have a bubbly hard cider. Half the can yields approx. 2.2 volumes of CO2 on par with a typical American ale
I found the average composition of apple sugars with a little net searching http://www.springerlink.com/content/...5/fulltext.pdfto be 15%glucose(corn sugar) 62%fructose(fruit sugar) and 23%sucrose (cane sugar aka table sugar). All of which are 100% ferment-able to alcohol and CO2. Yeast have a pecking order consuming all the glucose and glucose derived from splitting sucrose. Then turning to the fructose to finish. This is great because fructose is sweeter than glucose and if you are monitoring your carbonation you could halt priming by refrigeration before all the fructose is fully consumed thereby imparting some sweetness. Use a plastic soda bottle to track CO2 level. fill it leave head space like a glass bottle then carefully squeeze out the extra air denting the side and cap like this. The CO2 will push it back out and the bottle sides will become rigid when carbonation is at a desired level. If your cider is flat a can of concentrate does not a bottle bomb make. Seems perfect by the numbers and by what others are posting too. I shall see in a week!

Last edited by lanceearlhaines; 10-30-2010 at 12:54 PM.

Quick Reply