Potassium Sorbate/Campden Tablets - Backsweetening

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avaserfi

Reaction score
I have a 3 gallon batch of Apfelwein that I started 2/22/09. It is still sitting in primary and has been done fermenting for a while now. This batch is for my partner and she asked me to sweeten it up at a ratio of 3 parts AW to 2 parts apple juice. I know I need to prevent yeast growth so I added 3 crushed campden tabs and 1.5 tsp of potassium sorbate to primary. I was planning on letting it sit a week then transfer to the keg and add the apple juice.

Any issues with what I did? Probably should have asked first, but I did it and started to search and found mixed advice on what to do...

thats similar to how i do it except i add 1 can of frozen concentrated apple juice per 5 gallons instead of plain juice.

I just kegged a cider for SWMBO. Used PS to kill the yeast. She likes it a little sweet so I added a can of frozen concertrate plus a half cup. She loves it and I have no problems with additional fermentation.

Is it possible to bottle carbonate a naturally sweet cider? By "naturally sweet" I mean not adding some unfermentable sweetener.

Is it possible to bottle carbonate a naturally sweet cider? By "naturally sweet" I mean not adding some unfermentable sweetener.

Possible, maybe. But there is no consistent way to get it carbonated without bottle bombs unless you force carbonate it in a keg then fill the bottles from the keg.

Craig

Back