Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Potassium sorbate

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2008, 07:52 PM   #1
Kelly.
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Potassium sorbate

I am making some cider, and I would like to backsweeten it,
the guy at my lhbs, he wasnt to helpful other then telling me that i need potassium sorbate.

does potassium sorbate kill yeast?

im hoping to stir in some potassium sorbate and in a few days rack the cider out to be back sweetened.

any advice on this would be great,

thanks in advance,

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2008, 08:17 PM   #2
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

The combination of potassium sorbate and potassium sulfite (campden tablets) will prevent renewed fermentation and allow for back-sweetening.
Add 1 campden tablet and 1/2 tsp sorbate per gallon on finished cider, wine or mead dissolved in a small amount of water or product. Once treated you can back sweeten. I usually leave wait to sweeten until 1 or 2 days after treating. And you should wait a week or two after treating before bottling to prevent any sulphur smells.

Craig

Old 11-19-2008, 08:26 PM   #3
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 7

If fermentation is done then you can transfer to secondary, add potassium sorbate and potassium metisulfate to stop the yeast. Then you'll want to wait a few days to let that dissapate and backsweeten, I know Yooper is the one in the know on this stuff.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 11-19-2008, 08:34 PM   #4
Kelly.
Recipes 

i only got the potassium sorbate, so it looks like i need to get some campden tablets too

ill rack it to secondary in the meantime.

Old 11-19-2008, 08:38 PM   #5
monty73741
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 1 Posts

I put mine in secondary for like 30 days & cold crashed it.

Jason Danaher
Drinking a non alcoholic beer is like going down on your cousin...sure it taste the same but it just ain't right!

Old 04-10-2011, 12:25 AM   #6
BeerBrods22
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default What will happen here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBBaron View Post
The combination of potassium sorbate and potassium sulfite (campden tablets) will prevent renewed fermentation and allow for back-sweetening.
Add 1 campden tablet and 1/2 tsp sorbate per gallon on finished cider, wine or mead dissolved in a small amount of water or product. Once treated you can back sweeten. I usually leave wait to sweeten until 1 or 2 days after treating. And you should wait a week or two after treating before bottling to prevent any sulphur smells.

Craig
I racked to secondary... And added potassium sorbate yesterday, I am planning on adding the campden tablets tonight 1 per 1/2 oz of PS.

I will give it sone time then backsweaten. I an making a cran-lemonale but not it is super dry and sour.

Thanks

Old 02-13-2012, 11:54 PM   #7
oshea3333
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

do i need both or just potassium sorbate. im making a mead its 3 months in right now

Old 02-17-2012, 10:01 AM   #8
flyingdoctor
Recipes 

Default Sweetening and carbonation

IF you put potassium sorbate and sulphite into the cider, you will be unable to achieve natural carbonation to make it sparkling.

Patience is the key here if you make cider in cool temperatures (16-17 celcius or even a bit lower) during late autumn and winter as per tradition, the flavour will be better due to less fusel alcohol production. The cider will come bright (clear) after several months and you can rack it without needing any sulphite. If you want sweeter cider you can add Potassium sorbate. however if you want a sparkling cider as opposed to a traditional UK west country farm cider (acid, milky and still). You can add sugar syrup to 10 g/l when bottling and this will give you a sparkling cider. Try to avoid sulphite, it ruins your drinks. The alternative is good hygienic practice (or pasteurisation if you must) If you want a light sweet sparkling cider follow the french practice of Keeving (a bit involved for the beginner) and bottle just before teh fermentation has stopped. The low nitrogen will give you a small yeast load and so teh cider will carry on slowly fermenting in teh bottle but remain sweet (a bit like a late stage stuck fermentation). This type of cider is really nice. If you realy want to be professional, put it in amateur champagne bottles and remove the little bit of yeast left by "remouage". Enjoy

Old 09-23-2012, 12:51 AM   #9
levon15
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Is potassium sorbate sufficient to kill yeast in the cider before I back sweeten it for kegging? What will the Campden do? Or if I skip Campden will I be in trouble?

Old 09-23-2012, 02:36 AM   #10
LeBreton
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by levon15 View Post
Is potassium sorbate sufficient to kill yeast in the cider before I back sweeten it for kegging? What will the Campden do? Or if I skip Campden will I be in trouble?
Add both, after racking of the lees. Neither will kill yeast, but with a reduced population they will inhibit further fermentation.

Quick Reply