Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Is this possible? time frame question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2012, 01:51 AM   #1
gregkeller
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Is this possible? time frame question

Ok, i've got an oktoberfest party coming up on october 20th. That's a little over a month from now. I have got 10 gallons of oktoberfest ready to go, but have been toying with the idea of a cider. Is there any way i can do a cider that will taste really good in less than a month? I can keg and force carb. I was thinking of something with just juice, no added sugar to keep the gravity low. Fresh pressed juice from a local cider mill (haven't even looked into this, not sure if juice is even available yet, i guess that could totally kill the whole idea), a simple ale yeast fermented cool so it's nice and crisp, and cold crash it to halt fermentation with a little residual sugar left.

So can it be done?

Keg #1 - Claire's IPA (wife's 1st beer post baby)
Keg #2 - Heady Topper clone
Keg #3 - Oatmeal Stout
On Deck- Berliner Weiss.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2012, 02:29 AM   #2
irchowi
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Probably. I'm in the process of brewing apfelwein right now and edwort says it's supposedly ready in 5 weeks. But then a lot of people says its not good until at least 6 months.

Like you said, doing a low gravity cider without any added sugar would be your best bet so that it would require less aging.

Old 09-16-2012, 02:35 AM   #3
klnosaj
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Apfelwein IS NOT apple cider. Totally different yeast mean totally different products and totally different fermentation processes. I recently used White Labs WLP775 English Cider Yeast on a batch of fresh pressed apple cider with enough corn sugar added to give me an OG of 1.046. 2 weeks in primary followed by one week in secondary to aid clearing and it's good to go with a FG of 1.006--nice and crisp with enjoyable sweetness. This stuff is so easy to make, and so easy to make so that it tastes great, that I wish I'd started years ago.

Anyway, best of luck!

Quick Reply