Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Is It Possible to Have Infected Cider?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2009, 01:28 PM   #1
TampaTim
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Is It Possible to Have Infected Cider?

I mixed up 5 gal of Wal-Mart Apple Juice, a pound of sugar per gallon of juice, and a packet of Montrachet well over two months ago.

The ferment was strong and vigorous. Now it's clear as a bell. At one point it slowed down, but now, it seems as if it's gained a new head of steam. Certainly not vigorous as the initial fermentation, but a little more robust than a couple of weeks ago.

What do I have on my hands? Is it possible for something like this to become infected? Or is that just a ton of sugar for the yeast to handle?

If I cold crash it to stop fermentation, will I still be able to carb it up afterward? And if so, should I add priming sugar?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2009, 01:32 PM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 932 Times on 619 Posts
Likes Given: 27

It sounds like maybe the ambient temps went up a few degrees and it kicked off a bit of fermentation. It could also be some CO2 coming out of solution due to lower ambient pressure. Wow, 5 pounds of sugar huh, that's a bit much but who knows.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 04-15-2009, 02:18 PM   #3
Nukesquad
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

+1 on the temp. I often notice with my ciders that the fermentation pumps back up if my room temp goes up a couple degrees (the curse of the fluctuating environment temps). Also, I see that is indeed a lot of sugar..but could be real good. Do you have any SG readings?

Old 04-15-2009, 05:10 PM   #4
Tusch
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Agreed on the above mentioned and will add if it was affected in any other way, shaken, stirred, bumped, pressure change etc fermentation can be renewed or at least awoken. One thing I am confused about is you said it is clear as a bell, was this prior to the renewed fermentation or during? Did you shake it at all? If so it may just be some degassing co2. Also, that's a hell of a lot of sugar haha, this could take a while to mellow out to sweet sweet goodness.

Old 04-15-2009, 08:14 PM   #5
gregbathurst
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Could well be a malo-lactic fermentation. Rising temps will often kick off a malo. Did you add any camden tablets after primary ferment? If it is a malo no harm done but it will lose a bit of acid zing.

Old 04-16-2009, 12:41 PM   #6
TampaTim
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
It sounds like maybe the ambient temps went up a few degrees and it kicked off a bit of fermentation. It could also be some CO2 coming out of solution due to lower ambient pressure. Wow, 5 pounds of sugar huh, that's a bit much but who knows.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukesquad View Post
+1 on the temp. I often notice with my ciders that the fermentation pumps back up if my room temp goes up a couple degrees (the curse of the fluctuating environment temps). Also, I see that is indeed a lot of sugar..but could be real good. Do you have any SG readings?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusch View Post
Agreed on the above mentioned and will add if it was affected in any other way, shaken, stirred, bumped, pressure change etc fermentation can be renewed or at least awoken. One thing I am confused about is you said it is clear as a bell, was this prior to the renewed fermentation or during? Did you shake it at all? If so it may just be some degassing co2. Also, that's a hell of a lot of sugar haha, this could take a while to mellow out to sweet sweet goodness.
Thanks for the responses guys.

I run a Johnson Controls temp controller in a small fridge. I've had it at 68 degrees. I'll knock it down a few degrees.

Bobby (and others)..our ambient pressure has been screwy the last two weeks. That wasn't something I'd considered, but it makes sense.

Tusch, it's dropped clear during primary fermentation. Primary slowed down, and then seems to have picked up renewed vigor.

And dammit! I forgot my OG reading. I had it out, sterilized, and ready to go and just plain missed it somehow.

Anybody on the cold crashing question I had? If I cold crash it. Can I carb it up afterward? Or is it destined to stay a still cider if it is cold crashed?

Quick Reply