Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Plain ole hard cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2012, 09:43 PM   #1
natureboy68
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Plain ole hard cider

I am able to get unpasturized apple cider from a local cider mill, i do not want to pasteurize it, my plan is to pitch a slurry/starter of either S-04/05 or Nottingham, with a bit of energizer and nutrient, immediatly and let it go...do the cider gurus see anything wrong with this? Any other yeast suggestions?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2012, 09:56 PM   #2
UpstateMike
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by natureboy68 View Post
I am able to get unpasturized apple cider from a local cider mill, i do not want to pasteurize it, my plan is to pitch a slurry/starter of either S-04/05 or Nottingham, with a bit of energizer and nutrient, immediatly and let it go...do the cider gurus see anything wrong with this? Any other yeast suggestions?
Nottingham and S-04 are both good choices. Add the yeast, put on the airlock, put it in a dark cool area ((60 - 70 degrees) and forget it for about 3 months. A hydrometer reading at the beginning and end would help to determine the alcohol content, But based on just raw cider you may end up with a 5 - 6% ABV product.
"No longer drink only water, but use a little wine for your stomach’s sake and your frequent infirmities." ~ 1 Timothy 5:23
natureboy68 Likes This 
Old 08-28-2012, 12:20 AM   #3
JtotheA
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Are campden tabs recommended?

Old 08-28-2012, 12:24 AM   #4
natureboy68
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

upstatemike you rock! thanks!

i dont want to add campden tablets, i want to keep it as natural as possible, however i do know that some people will sulphite it first to knock out any wild yeasties, to get it ready for the good yeasties

Old 08-28-2012, 12:40 AM   #5
JtotheA
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by natureboy68 View Post
upstatemike you rock! thanks!

i dont want to add campden tablets, i want to keep it as natural as possible, however i do know that some people will sulphite it first to knock out any wild yeasties, to get it ready for the good yeasties
I respect that. I have yet to add any chems to my cider. Haven't gotten my hands on any unpasteurized juice yet, but I'd be tempted to take your approach.

Old 08-28-2012, 12:51 AM   #6
roadymi
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 6

The commercial yeasts should be able to overtake any wild yeasts if you pitch while as fresh as possible.

Old 08-28-2012, 01:35 AM   #7
porcupine73
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Nice plan, I'm hoping to be able to make hard cider from unpasteurized cider as well. Does anyone recommend adding any sweeteners to try to boost the alcohol content? I think I can get unpasteurized cider from cleanly raised apples from Busti Cider Mill.

Old 08-28-2012, 01:42 AM   #8
natureboy68
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

i understand you can use dextrose, or honey if you want a cyser, i will probably make two batches: regular cider and cyser with local honey

Quote:
Originally Posted by porcupine73 View Post
Nice plan, I'm hoping to be able to make hard cider from unpasteurized cider as well. Does anyone recommend adding any sweeteners to try to boost the alcohol content? I think I can get unpasteurized cider from cleanly raised apples from Busti Cider Mill.

Old 08-28-2012, 02:22 AM   #9
mathin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I make a cyser with 5 gallons of cider and 3 pounds of honey. Usually gets close to 10% ABV. I ferment it dry, add some priming sugar and end up with a champagne like beverage. I've used Lavin 71b and a Lavin champagne yeast. Both worked well. This fall I'm planning on trying a Belgian yeast to see if it adds some spiciness. Not sure if I'll go with just cider or add the honey.

Old 08-28-2012, 04:45 AM   #10
JtotheA
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathin View Post
I make a cyser with 5 gallons of cider and 3 pounds of honey. Usually gets close to 10% ABV. I ferment it dry, add some priming sugar and end up with a champagne like beverage. I've used Lavin 71b and a Lavin champagne yeast. Both worked well. This fall I'm planning on trying a Belgian yeast to see if it adds some spiciness. Not sure if I'll go with just cider or add the honey.
Three cheers for Belgian yeast! I didn't let mine go to dryness but it was a big hit with those I shared it with.

Quick Reply