Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Pitching yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2006, 08:56 AM   #1
Talcottsk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Pitching yeast

I am curious about pitching dry yeast vs. live yeast--it seems like live yeast from dry package would be a serious contamination worry...is there a benifit to live yeast being introduced? In my beer brewing I always pitch dry and have never had a problem, does anyone know about this, specifically when it comes to cider?

Also, what is the difference between using beer/wine/cider yeast in my cider? Flavor? I am toally in the dark about all the different yeast..thanks for any guidance you can/care to give

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2006, 02:55 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

Dry yeast is also alive, just dormant. Liquid yeasts come in more varieties, but you only get about 1/10th the cells. http://www.oregonbrewcrew.com/ has an article called the Great Mead Experiment, where they compare yeasts in fermenting mead. It's all about flavor.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 02-01-2006, 08:55 AM   #3
Alx Rains
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I used dry/packet yeasts for about 1 1/2 years before switching to liquid yeast. There was a dramatic improvement in flavour and increase in my wifes happiness, there is no way I'd go back to dry yeast. I've been told by my local Home brew shop that different yeasts will "strip out" different amounts of flavours. I'm not sure if that is the best way to describe it but you get the gist?
cheers

Quick Reply