Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Pitch to Pitcher in less than 2 weeks

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2013, 05:33 PM   #11
wadefisher
Brew Meister
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadius856 View Post
Right. WY3068 and WLP300 are the same strain, both cultured from Weihenstephan 68, according to Kristen English.

http://www.mrmalty.com/yeast.htm
Yes, I thought so. The fruitiness of this yeast should make a great compliment to the cider. I will definitely try this.

www DrunkMonkeyBrewWerks dot com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2013, 05:46 PM   #12
Pickled_Pepper
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I do the same thing but only in gallon batches and repitch on a nottingham yeast cake. I keep a gallon going all the time and start a new one as soon as one goes back into the original container and into the fridge.

It's only me that drinks it so I only do a gallon. In two weeks nottingham gets me down to about 1.015 so thats about 4.5-5% ABV. It's a tad sweet, but still seems to hit the spot.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:48 PM   #13
Meadiator
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickled_Pepper
I do the same thing but only in gallon batches and repitch on a nottingham yeast cake. I keep a gallon going all the time and start a new one as soon as one goes back into the original container and into the fridge.

It's only me that drinks it so I only do a gallon. In two weeks nottingham gets me down to about 1.015 so thats about 4.5-5% ABV. It's a tad sweet, but still seems to hit the spot.
Wait, you repitch more that twice? O.o I suppose it would probably turn out fine because of the low alcohol content being produced, I've just never imagined doing so.

A mangiar questa minestra o saltar questa fincestra.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:52 PM   #14
Meadiator
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Brown sugar boiled in apple juice with raisins and vanilla extract. Some prefer the more crisp fruity flavor that apple concentrate leaves. I prefer mine to taste more like an apple pie I Recommend back sweetening with both by splitting a batch, perhaps, to see what you like most. It's all dependent on taste preference. Glad it turned it well for you though! I'll have to get my hands on some of that strand of yeast. I've heard Nottinghams works very well also.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:33 PM   #15
Pickled_Pepper
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadiator View Post
Wait, you repitch more that twice? O.o
I'd always only used yeast in two batches, but recently decided to take a leap of faith and run it a third time. I haven't gone beyond a third pitch yet. Seems to be ok. I'm sure it would probably even go a few more.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:57 AM   #16
Meadiator
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickled_Pepper

I'd always only used yeast in two batches, but recently decided to take a leap of faith and run it a third time. I haven't gone beyond a third pitch yet. Seems to be ok. I'm sure it would probably even go a few more.
Well if you go beyond, please keep me updated! A dollar saved is a beer brewed

Old 04-10-2013, 06:33 PM   #17
fosaisu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickled_Pepper View Post
I've only done one reuse so far, mainly b/c I keep wanting to brew with different strains. There're people who sucessfully go way further than that though, check out this thread for example:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/reused-yeast-over-150-batches-239638/

I think I've read as a rule of thumb that you can safely go 6-8 reuses without significant risk of mutation (bacteria or wild yeast contamination is a much bigger concern and could presumably happen at any time if your cleaning and sanitation isn't perfect). With cider ingredients being pretty cheap the risks of pushing it along don't seem bad!

Old 04-10-2013, 07:17 PM   #18
Pickled_Pepper
Recipes 

It costs me about the same to make 5 gallons of cider...or 5 gallons of beer. If I use additional ingredients, fresh juice or fruit/flavors in secondary...cider starts to get more expensive to make than beer. (a standard session beer anyway)

I usually don't take the chance of pitching 5 gallons of apple juice on a yeast cake. On a 1 gallon...sure...but I'm making 5 gallons to drink...not experiment with

Old 04-10-2013, 11:47 PM   #19
fosaisu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickled_Pepper View Post
It costs me about the same to make 5 gallons of cider...or 5 gallons of beer. If I use additional ingredients, fresh juice or fruit/flavors in secondary...cider starts to get more expensive to make than beer. (a standard session beer anyway)

I usually don't take the chance of pitching 5 gallons of apple juice on a yeast cake. On a 1 gallon...sure...but I'm making 5 gallons to drink...not experiment with
I guess the cost depends entirely on your recipe! I just bought ingredients for my first cider (basically the same as what OP is doing here) and it cost me $15 for 4.5 gallons of Mott's apple juice + a packet of S-04. Of course if you're using 4-5 gallons fresh pressed local cider and back-sweetening with the same, I'd imagine you could spend $40-$50 on a batch no problem.

Old 04-11-2013, 12:10 AM   #20
thadius856
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 543 Times on 247 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Would love to have your prices.

The last 28 gallons of juice I've bought have been Tree Top from the Commissary. Even as a non-profit, their price is $4.04 / gal. Add in a vial of hefe yeast and we're north of $28. And 2 hours round trip to the LHBS / market for me in my pickup.

OTOH, I can make 10 gallons of a blonde, cream ale or mild for $22-26. Dry yeast last two years, so I don't have to make a special trip for it. 20 packets in my fridge right now.

Thadius Miller, Project Manager -> RaspberryPints

Before you build a keezer, look at this!
Chest Freezer Spec Sheets and Layout Drawings (15 models and counting)

Quick Reply