The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Picking a Yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2013, 12:16 AM   #11
Lumo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I use Red Star champagne yeast. High alcohol tolerance, so quite dry, but always clean tasting and carbs up well :-)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2013, 01:32 PM   #12
wadefisher
Brew Meister
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've been using WLP775 but I have a vial of WLP300 in the mail for a batch next week. I am quite happy with WLP775 and believe the cider I've made to be as good as a English Cider I paid $5 for at the local pub.
See my post

www DrunkMonkeyBrewWerks dot com

Old 04-21-2013, 01:57 PM   #13
MrMonkey
Recipes 

Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadiator View Post
So, I've decided to give it another go with cider. This time, I plan to ferment five gallons of juice straight up, with no additions. I've found the task of picking a yeast, however, very taxing. I've decided that from what I've heard, Nottingham or WLP-775 would most likely be the best yeast to use. They both have very good outcomes. Thoughts, suggestions?

EDIT: I've already browsed through a few other threads on the topic, and read the sticky as well.
Hi Meadiator,

I know you didn't ask, but the next time I make cider (probably upstatemike's caramel apple or straight up like you) I plan on using un-pasteurized cider, adding ~50mg campden tablets (per gallon) 24 hours before pitching, & also starting my dry yeast 24 hours beforehand. I'm a broken record already this morning!

If I was you I'd just go with Notti ale first to see how you like it (recommended to me by a guy @ my LHBS before I did my first batch).

Primary 1: Dogfish Head 60 minute IPA, Primary 2: Belgian Witbier, Primary 3 & 4: Apfelwine - 1 w/ montrochet, 1 Nottingham ale yeast
Bottled 1: Amber Ale, Bottled 2: Hefeweizen, Bottled 3 & 4: Half-azzed accidental keeved cider
Coming up: Merlot, Centennial Blonde, some sort of stout, KiWit, Melomel, Cyser, Nierra Sevada, Graff, I Eat Danger for Breakfast Stout

Old 04-23-2013, 09:47 PM   #14
MrMonkey
Recipes 

Likes Given: 6

Here's a follow up if you're interested in my experience....(re rhino farts).

Making Apfelwein, two 5-gallon batches. First batch (my batch # 11) 5 gallons tree top from Costco, 1.75# dextrose, & Red Star Montrachet yeast.

second batch (my 12th batch): 5 gallons tree top, 1.75# dextrose, & Nottingham ale yeast.

4/17/2013:
Both pitched dry, didn't mix in the sugar as good as directed.

4/22/2013: Rhino farts coming from batch 12....mild in the morning, hit you in the face in the afternoon/evening. Non-existent on the morning of 4/23, or very mild anyway.

No off scents coming from the montrachet batch. Not a big deal to me since most of my stuff is fermenting in a spare bedroom in the basement.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:52 PM   #15
Pickled_Pepper
Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Next time at costco, also look for the Kirkland Brand Fresh Pressed Apple Juice. I use it a lot and makes a decent cider. A little bit of crabapple juice gives it a nice little zing.

Old 04-24-2013, 06:50 PM   #16
jflongo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I have used both Wine Yeast Dry and Liquid WYeast Cider Yeast with great results.

Go Spartans!!

http://www.youtube.com/MrSparty1995

Old 04-29-2013, 01:27 AM   #17
Keith66
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 264

My first cider was upstatemike's caramel apple cider using Treetop juice and Wyeast 4766, back sweetening with fajc and caramel syrup, then pasteurizing. It turned out so good that me and swmbo have almost polished it off in a month! Today I started 2 more ciders: 5.5 gallons of Martinelli's apple juice (no caramel this time), and a separate gallon of peach-mango that swmbo wanted me to try. For yeast, I went with 4766 again, but I put about 80% of it in the apple juice and the other 20% in the peach-mango. I let the smack-pack swell up pretty good first, and it says it's good for up to 6 gallons, so I think I'll be okay. I plan to back-sweeten the apple with fajc, and the peach-mango with white or brown sugar, then pasteurize both. Getting thirsty already!

EDIT: Within 5 hours I had slow bubbles in both air locks.

EDIT: Peach-Mango went to 1.000 in 1 week, then I back-sweetened and bottled it. Six more days and it was super yummy over ice! Nice pfft and fizz! Apple is at 1.002, time to back-sweeten and bottle.

Primary:
Secondary:
Bottled: Helles Bock, Bohemian Pilsner

Quick Reply