Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Persuade me to carbonate or not

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2012, 07:48 PM   #11
Bigsky406
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I'm getting ready to bottle some cider myself. I have to give the borrowed carboys back to their rightful owner so I figured it's time to bottle. I have about 10 gallons of two different ciders, one with champagne yeast and one with cou de blanc yeast. I was thinking I'd like to carbonate them both, but DO NOT want bottle bombs, of course.

So, someone suggested 1/2 teaspoon of simple sugar per bottle should suffice for appropriate carbonation. Is there agreement here on that?

Also, have a "wild" cider that has fermented beautifully in a one-gallon jug and is crystal clear. I have never added ANYTHING to that one. Just put it in a clean jug and let 'er go. Is there anything dangerous about that in terms of bacteria? There was a pretty foamy, bubbly scum on the surface for a while but that is nearly gone now. It's now a super clear, beautiful looking brew with a pile of sediment on the bottom. I was going to sample it before bottling. I never measured the SG before so I have no idea what's going on with it. I could measure the SG from some of the sweet cider I have in the freezer from the same juice stock. But I wonder if I could carbonate this "wild" cider too?

Sorry for the rambling post. Any advice on any of the above points would be much appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2012, 11:52 PM   #12
roadymi
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsky406 View Post
But I wonder if I could carbonate this "wild" cider too?

Sorry for the rambling post. Any advice on any of the above points would be much appreciated.
Hard to know for sure because you don't know the abv tolerance of the wild yeast. If it fermented completely dry, (1.000 or less) there is likely enough active yeast to carb up ok.

Old 10-26-2012, 06:58 AM   #13
CodyA
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadymi View Post
Hard to know for sure because you don't know the abv tolerance of the wild yeast. If it fermented completely dry, (1.000 or less) there is likely enough active yeast to carb up ok.
I second that. I know some people get really good yeast strains where they live, and others, not so much. Friend of mine tried a wild ferment on his hefeweisen. Only got up to about 3.6 abv. He harvested the leese and pitched it into some water with malt extract to see if was the yeast, and what do ya know! Stopped fermenting at that same abv, and it smelled like a stressed ferment! You're always rolling the dice on wild yeast, but I know some who swear by it, so to each their own.

Old 10-26-2012, 07:11 AM   #14
edmanster
Whats Under Your Kilt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Are yo u looking for a sweet sparkling or still.. or a dry sparkling or still? Its all about preference!!!

Father of 4 girls

Suffers from Zymocenosilicaphobia

Old 10-26-2012, 07:39 PM   #15
Zippox
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Mine is dry but still towing with the idea of carbonating it or not. I'll have a better idea with what I wan to do in 2 weeks when I go to bottle it (I hope)

Quick Reply