Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Perry/Cider Mix

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2011, 07:57 PM   #1
urbanmyth
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Default Perry/Cider Mix

I have a sack of Bartlett Pears chilling in my fridge along with a gallon of apple cider I picked up from a local orchard. I was thinking of chopping the pears and steeping them in the cider before fermenting both together with a little brown sugar and cinnamon. Thoughts? Is there any reason this would not turn out well? I want to get these pears used up before they go bad.

Looking to make a batch of about 2 gallons.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2011, 01:57 PM   #2
wreckinball9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I have not had good luck fermenting pears/pear juice. It sounds good, but they dont seem to have a strong enough flavor to still taste good once the natural sugars ferment out. You may have better results fermenting the cider, stabilize, then add the pears to it in a secondary vessel as a flavoring agent.

you can freeze the pears in ziplock bags in the meantime, to prevent them from going bad, and it will help break down the cell walls allowing the flavor to be accessed easier.

You must love this country more than I love a cold beer on a hot Christmas morning. - Homer S.

And how is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?- Homer S.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply