New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Perry??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2009, 03:28 PM   #1
ScottM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Perry??

So here's the situation: Last fall I got about a bushel of pears from a neighbor. We didn't know what else to do with them so we skinned, quartered, and seeded. Then we put in quart jars, with a tsp of ascorbic acid, and 6 drops of a liquid artificial sweetener, topped up with boiling water, and canned them. Now we're not huge fans of the canned pears, but we eat them from time to time. What I'm wondering about would be all that "pear juice" in the jars. If I cracked enough jars to get 1 gal of juice, do any of you think it would ferment down to a drinkable Perry?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2009, 03:33 PM   #2
Gosassin
Recipes 

Only one way to find out, and if you don't really like the pears anyway it's not a huge loss if it doesn't work out.

Old 04-10-2009, 05:49 PM   #3
ScottM
Recipes 

That's exactly what I was thinking. I'll probably use a cheescloth to press out any juice remaining in the canned pears, and to be sure I'll get up to the gallon mark. After that I'll probably need some extra fermentable sugars, honey maybe? Anyone have a guess at where I should try to get the OG to? The apple cider that's working now, was 3 gal pastuerized juice, 2 lbs of honey and that started at 1.074.

Quick Reply