Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > pear ciders

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2008, 07:05 AM   #1
rae_phillips
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default pear ciders

Hey I have been looking for the best perry (pear cider) available in texas. I have tasted a few brands and I have not been pleased. can you recommend something for me? I am looking something with finer taste and aroma, not too dry, and not too sweet.

thanks rae

P.S.
I have been looking at this site (http://ciders.com) and it says that you should at least eat before drowning on ciders. Not eating works fine with me. I don't experience stomaches or anything. How about you?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2008, 06:22 AM   #2
gpogo
Recipes 

The only perry I've had is Ace's Pear Cider. I think it's from California. I've found it in Missouri though, so I'm sure it can be found in Texas.

Secondary 3 - Malkore's Not So Ancient Orange Mead(2.5 gal)
Secondary 4 -
Gallon Fermentor - Joe's Ancient Orange, Joe's Quick Grape Mead, Pomegranate Mead
Bottled/aging - Sunshine Wheat Clone, Fat Tire Clone, Hard Cider, Scotch Ale, Orange Blossom Sweet Mead
Coming soon... - Weizenbock, Belgian Wit, Apfelwein

Old 05-01-2008, 02:01 PM   #3
bigjohnmilford
bigger than most
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 112

swmbo and I tried one last night and I wasn't impressed. I've been spoiled by apfelwien.

What's your hobby Ray? Drinkin. Want a beer Buddy?

Old 05-01-2008, 02:08 PM   #4
Professor Frink

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

I tried Ace's the other day for the first time. I thought it was quite tasty.

On tap:Amber Ale
Milk Stout

Lagering:

http://www.lazydogbrewery.com

Old 05-06-2008, 06:53 PM   #5
Robcore
Recipes 

I love pear cider, will take it over almost anything anyday. I'm lucky enough to live about 20 miles from Herefordshire which is pretty much cider central and home to loads of history.

The one I most enjoyed, personally, is Brother's Pear Cider (created at a place next to Glastonbury and sold exclusively at the festival originally.) Strong, not to sweet and not too sour, not too fizzy, not too flat. Great stuff.

Kopperberg is great, Swedish and very sweet, but quite obviously flavoured instead of fermented, you can really taste the pears.

I'm drinking Gaymers (Bulmers) Pear Cider as we speak, which isn't bad, though nothing special about it - it's more of a casual pear cider. Got it for 90p a bottle on buy one get one free . The sun's out, that's my excuse.

St Helier is okay but again, nothing great.

I guess none of these are particulary "real" perry, but they're still good stuff.

Don't know what's available by you, you may be better ordering over the internet in single bottles or whatnot so you can check them out.

Hope this helps!

Old 05-06-2008, 11:32 PM   #6
potatoe
Recipes 

I am going to open a bottle of "oliver's" this evening. A Still, English example. 750ml retails for $17.00 at 7.3% abv. A bit low, methinks. Will report back.

Old 05-07-2008, 11:23 AM   #7
Loweface
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robcore View Post
I'm drinking Gaymers (Bulmers) Pear Cider as we speak
Is that the American version of Ritz? Can you check to see if it's made in Clonmel, Co. Tipperary, Ireland?

Old 05-07-2008, 11:41 AM   #8
WillPall

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rae_phillips View Post
P.S.
I have been looking at this site (http://ciders.com) and it says that you should at least eat before drowning on ciders. Not eating works fine with me. I don't experience stomaches or anything. How about you?
Just to chime in on the "hangover" effects of ciders... I. Need. Some. Water... Water, food, or whatever. I can drink two bottles of Edwort's Apfelwein and I'm guaranteed a bad day the next day if I don't eat some food or drink a TON of water. Then again, I do have a weak stomach.

And my own "PS": I've been "drowning" in cider tonight, and the sun is coming up and I'm pissed. I know a hangover is looming. Some of you might be getting up to go to work, but I'm about to go to bed. How's that for self-control. Bah!

Old 05-14-2008, 05:50 PM   #9
leon_uk
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robcore View Post
I love pear cider, will take it over almost anything anyday. I'm lucky enough to live about 20 miles from Herefordshire which is pretty much cider central and home to loads of history.

The one I most enjoyed, personally, is Brother's Pear Cider (created at a place next to Glastonbury and sold exclusively at the festival originally.) Strong, not to sweet and not too sour, not too fizzy, not too flat. Great stuff.

Kopperberg is great, Swedish and very sweet, but quite obviously flavoured instead of fermented, you can really taste the pears.

I'm drinking Gaymers (Bulmers) Pear Cider as we speak, which isn't bad, though nothing special about it - it's more of a casual pear cider. Got it for 90p a bottle on buy one get one free . The sun's out, that's my excuse.

St Helier is okay but again, nothing great.

I guess none of these are particulary "real" perry, but they're still good stuff.

Don't know what's available by you, you may be better ordering over the internet in single bottles or whatnot so you can check them out.

Hope this helps!
Good to see there are Brits on this forum.

Kopparberg is nice, tastes best VEEERY cold on a summer evening, Brother's is also very nice (have you tried their Stawberry & Pear cider/ perry?)

Another worth trying is Jacques, made by blending fruit juice with Strongbow, sounds like posh snakebite but I've found both the summer fruits (pear and apple) and the autumn fruits (blackcurranty) are very pleasant.

I've only recently started enjoying cider again after too many drunken antics with Strongbow while young, but with summer coming I've been enjoying it more and more.

Old 05-16-2008, 07:34 PM   #10
BrewSapiens
Nobody
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

ACE pear cider is D-R-YYYYY, Dry with a capital D! I did not like it. Sucked the moisture from my mouth like a Sour Patch Kid(Candy). I like Fox Barrels ( http://www.foxbarrel.com/ ) Pear cider it is sweeter but not as sweet as Wyder's.

Quick Reply