Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Pear Cider Help

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2005, 02:36 PM   #1
missing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Pear Cider Help

All right gentlemen (and ladies . . . sorry for the long first post.

I started my first batch of cider about two weeks ago. I used a pretty simple recipe, just a gallon of pasturised, preservitive free, apple juice and a pound of cane sugar with a packet of Levan champagne yeast (can't remember the exact type). It has been going strong ever since and just this morning has started slowing down to a bubble every four seconds or so. I figure another day or two and I will rack it to secondary.

Here is my dilema. This week I decided to start a batch of pear cider . . . which I guess is technically a cyser (?) since I used a half pound of honey along with a 1/4 pound of cane sugar. I also used a packet of Red Star champagne yeast (this time I used a starter and a tsp. of yeast nutrient). It was mixed on monday, started bubbling Tuesday. By Wednesday it was bubbling like mad and now as of this morning it has stopped all together.

I have kept the carboys together at a temperature around 70. Why would the pear finish so much quicker? I realize there was less sugar and the Red Star yeast is supposed to have a lower tolerance (at least the guy at the shop told me it will quit before the Lalvin). I am wondering if it because I used a starter and nutrient. Could it be finished fermenting already or has it stalled out?

I just bottled my first batch of beer Wednesday (which came out well for a newbie) and I am not sure what to do now. Thanks for your help guys, you have already taught me a lot.

Missing

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2005, 09:03 PM   #2
Caplan
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Pear Cider? Using Pear (from the fruit tree as opposed to prickly pear cactus - we don't get many growing wild over here! ) is called 'Perry' in the UK. Without testing the OG and FG gravities on your Perry it'll be hard to tell where you are as you used a champagne yeast which should ferment out dry - Temp seems ok if it's constant and doesn't drop lower at night. If you didn't take measurements with a hydrometer have you tasted it for sweetness to test how it's doing?

Old 12-11-2005, 09:31 PM   #3
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 22 Posts

I had pear cider in San Francisco. It was delicious.

Let me know how your recipe goes, I'd forgotten all about Pear Cider, but now I want one!

Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 12-11-2005, 11:06 PM   #4
Caplan
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesefood
I had pear cider in San Francisco. It was delicious.
Perry has a dark side in the UK. it's called Country Manor But home made Perry is great!

Old 12-11-2005, 11:50 PM   #5
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 131 Posts

I vote for starter + nutrient = fast ferment. What's the gravity?

Apples = cider
Pears = perry
Apples + honey = cider
Pears + honey = perry
Apples + lots of honey (more than 50% of the fermentables) = cyser (must be entered in mead category)
Pears + lots of honey (more than 50% of the fermentables) = cyser (must be entered in mead category) [I guess pyser sounds nasty]

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 12-12-2005, 01:45 AM   #6
missing
Recipes 

Thanks for the responses. The starting measurement was around 1.065 (I had just gotten my hydrometer). The reading I took before transfer was 1.010. So, I went ahead and transferred it over to secondary this afternoon and managed to keep a sample to taste. It was actually pretty good though it had a "yeasty" taste to it still. I know that part of that was probably due to the transfer. I think I will let it sit for a while in secondary and then bottle. Give it a few months and we will see. I will definitely let you all know how it comes out.

Quick Reply