Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Peach ciders

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2012, 07:04 PM   #1
divi2323
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Default Peach ciders

Was thinking about getting a peach cider going so it'll be ready by the dog days of summer. Using what i know about making apple cider, I thought, "I wonder how much peach juice is going to rape me for at the supermarket."

come to find out, they really dont make peach juice at all. Anyone make peach cider here and care to share their experiences? A friend of mine took 2 gallons of apple cider, did a freeze/thaw with fresh peaches, pureed them, then added them together with some pectic enzyme. His batch never kicked off and he was left with a bunch of green muck. Granted i'm a little more involved than "set it and forget it"... is peach cider usually made with a base juice of some kind like apple? I'd think that a water/puree'd peach/sugar batch would yield something similar.

Looking for ideas.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2012, 07:08 PM   #2
Misplaced_Canuck
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I was given a gallon of peach cider by an ex-gf, she had it for a couple years sitting at her place and never drank it. It was pasteurized (the cider ), so I decided to ferment it. It did quite well.

I used a bit of brown sugar and some hefeweizen yeast, Force carbonated it and it tasted lightly of peaches and a touch of banana. Not a bad drink at all.

MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebstauffer
Needless to say after more than a few drams my mental efficiency matched my mashing efficiency.

Old 02-14-2012, 07:13 PM   #3
divi2323
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misplaced_Canuck View Post
I was given a gallon of peach cider by an ex-gf, she had it for a couple years sitting at her place and never drank it. It was pasteurized (the cider ), so I decided to ferment it. It did quite well.

I used a bit of brown sugar and some hefeweizen yeast, Force carbonated it and it tasted lightly of peaches and a touch of banana. Not a bad drink at all.

MC
So I take it this was a full peach cider in a gallon jug without anything added (other fruit, sorbate etc). any idea where she got it? I'm having a tough time locating some for my needs. I might try two batches, one with sugar/water/fresh peaches and another with apple juice/fresh peaches.

Old 02-14-2012, 07:21 PM   #4
Airplanedoc
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 279 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 76

I make Peach Pie with peach cider (similar to apple Pie the drink). I have to get peach cider from down south. I have some friend bring it up with them from Valdosta Georgia when they head this way. It is about $20/Gal. They have never indicated that it is hard to find in a peach growing region

If you think about it the pit takes up a lot of the peach, so it takes a whole lot more peaches to make a gallon of cider than it does apples.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:00 PM   #5
GinKings
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airplanedoc View Post
If you think about it the pit takes up a lot of the peach, so it takes a whole lot more peaches to make a gallon of cider than it does apples.
I think the large pit makes it a whole lot tougher to make than apple cider. You can't just run it through a grinder and press it like apples. There's a place near me that makes peach cider. I've had trouble losing peach flavor after it's fermented, so I wanted to make something sweeter to retain some of the flavor. I made a peach port a few months ago. Still in the carboy, but a recent sample tasted pretty damn good.

Circle M Fruit Farms Peach Cider:

The sweetest peaches are often too ripe and fragile for packing and shipping. Year after year we watched as peaches too ripe for market were wasted, which added up to about 10 percent of our peach crop. With the help of Rutgers Food Innovation Center and Rutgers Cooperative Extension, we were able to utilize these peaches to create a peach cider beverage in 2003. Customers are now able to taste the sweetest peaches that previously didn't make it to market.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:03 PM   #6
Misplaced_Canuck
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by divi2323 View Post
So I take it this was a full peach cider in a gallon jug without anything added (other fruit, sorbate etc). any idea where she got it? I'm having a tough time locating some for my needs. I might try two batches, one with sugar/water/fresh peaches and another with apple juice/fresh peaches.
Not sure where she got it. There are a lot of road-side peach stands in SC/NC/GA and when the peaches are in season, they all seem to have peach cider.

Edit: here

MC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebstauffer
Needless to say after more than a few drams my mental efficiency matched my mashing efficiency.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:39 PM   #7
vinper
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

why not use canned peaches?

Old 02-14-2012, 11:32 PM   #8
MarkKF
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts

I know plenty of wineries make peach wine 100% peach no apple or grapes. So it can be done and the wine is about the same price as apple wine. I was gonna try some cider with frozen peach slices added next.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:09 AM   #9
divi2323
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkKF
I know plenty of wineries make peach wine 100% peach no apple or grapes. So it can be done and the wine is about the same price as apple wine. I was gonna try some cider with frozen peach slices added next.
I guess the million dollar question here is where to source the peach nectar. Think I'm going to troll the aisles of my local grocery store tomorrow. If anything I'm hoping for peach frozen concentrate. Worst case is I buy 10lbs of peaches and mix the Apple juice in.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:10 AM   #10
divi2323
Recipes 

A friend of mine said that peach juice is popular in the winter time with the Hispanic community because peaches come in season in Latin countries. No idea how true/racist this really is but I might just hit the supermercado as well.

Quick Reply