The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > pastuerized juice.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2011, 07:04 PM   #1
Huck-E-bear
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default pastuerized juice.

I've never made cider before but I M looking for cider and the only apple juice I can find with out perservatives is pasteurized and I heard from soe people its a no go? Why is this? Can use it anyways as long as there are no perservatives?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2011, 07:17 PM   #2
Mermaid
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

You can use pasteurized cider with great results. The batch I brewed 4 weeks ago using pasteurized local cider finished at 1.000 and is sitting quite content in secondary containers, quite clear with a nice little layer of sediment at the bottom.

The cyser I started last weekend using cider from the same source is happily chugging along.

Some have said that pasteurized cider produces a less clear result, but I can only speak to how well it fermented.

It's the preservatives you have to avoid. I believe that ascorbic acid is acceptable, but anything with 'sulfate' in it will kill your yeast.

-------------------------
Primary: Empty
Secondary: Empty!
an empty fermenter is a sad fermenter
Bottled: Nut brown ale, Bink blond clone (she's a bitter Belgian!) Belgian Wit, several other tasty beers that have since been consumed!
On deck: TBD

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply