Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > pasteurizing my graff?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2012, 08:12 PM   #1
BWRIGHT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default pasteurizing my graff?

I made a first attempt at a graff a couple of months ago and just had my first taste. It's not bad at all but not quite what I expected. I've got some people coming over tonight that I figured one enjoy it a bit sweeter. I had some cherry puree laying around so I figured what the hell. I racked the graff back into my boil pot and added the puree. I brought it up to 150 and it held it there to kill off the yeast. I've got it cooling now and will keg it shortly. I'm just wondering if my method is sound. I've never done anything quite this stupid. I figured 150 would kill off the yeast but not boil off the alcohol. Typically, when I want a fruit cider with some residual sweetness left I just add the fruit near the end of fermentation and then cold crash it when it hits around 1.010. Didn't have time for that tonight so I figured I'd give this a shot. I'm wondering if anyone can point out anything I may have missed in my foolish technique here?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2012, 09:54 PM   #2
Daze
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

nope its a good technique. 140º is what I bulk pasteurize at but 150º shouldn't heart anything.

- "It's all about time. You can't rush perfection. Time TIME TIME!!! You either need to pay on the front end or the rear. If the batch ferments out fast you need to secondary age or bottle age it. If it ferments out slow... months not weeks, then you don't have to age it nearly as long to get good flavors. Either way time is the key when making ciders and wines."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply