*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Pasteurization stop malolactic fermentation?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2010, 12:38 AM   #1
Bluechicken
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Pasteurization stop malolactic fermentation?

I've been reading a lot about how cider will taste significantly better when aged for 4+ months, mainly due to the malolactic fermentation that smooths out the taste. So... I just pasteurized my bottled cider (my first batch) to kill of the yeast, as my cider is semi-sweet and carbed, right at the point where I'm happy. Does the pasteurization process stop the malolactic fermentation? I'm assuming it does. Does it stop the flavor from improving over time? It's pretty decent tasting now - started Jan 15th, bottled Feb 17th, pasteurized March 8th. I was curious to see how it would be down the road, as so many people mention the improved flavor.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2010, 03:41 AM   #2
gregbathurst
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You're right, pasteurisation will stop mlf. Normally you would put it through mlf before bottling, then sweeten and pasteurise. The flavour will still improve but the acidity won't change very much.

Old 03-09-2010, 02:55 PM   #3
CandleWineProject
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Because it is semi-sweet, the MLF is not as important. The sugar balances out and/or masks the acid and tannins and what not. If it was dry, then MLF would be more important.

Quick Reply