HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > pasteurised cider ferment with no yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2012, 07:59 PM   #1
aja1983
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default pasteurised cider ferment with no yeast

I put 5 gallons of pasteurized whole foods cider 5 tsp yeast nutrient, and pectic enzyme. That has been in there for a week. Today I went down to to pitch yeast and sugar and its already bubbling away. Is it fermenting on its own, or are the enzyme and nutrients just bubbling.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2012, 10:13 PM   #2
smalone4839
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Sounds like either wild yeast or the yeast cells in the nutrient weren't completely dead. From what I have read, nutrient is mostly old dead yeast cells. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:17 PM   #3
aja1983
Recipes 

Thanks for the quick response. That's realy interesting about the yeast nutrient. Well I am planning on adding my sugar and yeast tonight. Is this juice spoiled now? I had it air tight for the whole week.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:56 PM   #4
roadymi
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 6

A week is a long time to wait to pitch yeast. Some wild yeast found their way in somehow. I'd go ahead and add your sugar and pitch your yeast. Only time will tell the results.....likely you will be fine.

Quick Reply