Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Paradise apple/Roadside apple

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2013, 11:26 PM   #1
CiderMike
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Paradise apple/Roadside apple

Hello everyone. I have been trolling the web looking for an answer, but no luck.
Im wondering what the flavor profile will be on the old trees that are seen growing wild by the road or just native. Like paradise apple, I see wild messes of old apple trees here in Oregon. And I'm preparing for next harvest. And want to know where those apples can play in? Like the base or acid or tannic part of the blend.
Thx

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 12:00 AM   #2
Pickled_Pepper
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 20

wow. good question. Without knowing exactly what a paradise apple is, I'm posting to follow and see what others contribute. Is it just a wild small apple? My guess would be a cousin to the crabapple. <insert pucker!> You might try contacting your local master gardeners program or even try orchards in the area. They will probably know exactly what is growing wild in their areas.

I think your best bet would be to stop...ask the property owner if you can pick some and then give it a taste.

Old 01-29-2013, 04:52 AM   #3
Bluespark
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts

If its anything like the lower mainland of BC, they will very greatly.there were everything from transparents, to crab apples, to wild versions of common eating apples. Your best bet is to taste and see.

Quick Reply