Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > One year aged Cider Carbonation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2010, 02:18 PM   #1
brewbond
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default One year aged Cider Carbonation

Hey All,

I have a cidre I have been aging for a year now, and I want to carbonate it.
I can't remember how much sugar I started with but assuming it is very dry now, I only added the essential. Planing on putting them in beer bottles or swing tops. I only have two gallons. What is the best method for carbonation, how much sugar?

Thanks alot

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2010, 07:00 PM   #2
Bombo80
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Well, after a year of aging, the yeast have most likely all settled out. So I don't know if you would have any viable yeast for CO2 production, even by pulling some of the lees off the bottom of your carboy. You might have to add some fresh yeast, along with your sugar in order to get it to carbonate. With 2 gallons you would probably only need about 1/4 to 1/3 cup of sugar, along with some fresh active yeast.

On Deck - Crabapple Wine

Secondary - Pomegranate Wine, Red Table Wine, Wild Fox Grape Wine, Blueberry Wine, Surly Furious clone

Bulk Aging - Brewtopia Barleywine, Sugar Beet Wine

Old 11-08-2010, 09:32 PM   #3
Bluechicken
Recipes 

I've only tried this once with a few bottles, but it worked: The guy at my local beer-wine supply store mentioned that in this type of situation, you can sweeten it and add a few drops of champagne yeast (rehydrated per directions). This will get the carbonation going, but you'll have to be careful with the whole bottle bomb/pasteurization thing (which is a sticky thread now). Good luck.

Old 11-08-2010, 11:17 PM   #4
Fletch78
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 26

If you add just enough sugar to carbonate an already dry cider (check with hydrometer first), you don't have to worry about bombs. The EC-1118 or Red Star "champagne" yeasts are a good choice for that. A third cup of sugar in 2 gallons should work just fine, as Bombo stated.

Although, depending on the yeast you used originally, it may very well be alive and fully capable of carbonating. I've had WL irish ale yeast carbonate in the bottle after a 6 month secondary. It only took a week, too.

Don't assume the yeast is dead or fully settled just because it's been 6 months or even a year.

Quick Reply