Originally Posted by Brewinsooner
Making my next batch friday:
1. 4 Gallons Apple Cider (Musslemans) 3 lbs brown sugar/ 1 batch nottinghmam & 1 batch lavlin 1118 take OG
2. Let ferment about 1 month (or so) switch to secondary and back sweeten; take gravity reading cant remember the acronym
3 let ferment about 3 months
3. Rack (take gravity)
4. Let bottles carbonate 1 month then pasteurize
5. let age 2 weeks.
1. I don't like fermented brown sugar, but if you do, that's fine. Use just the nottingham yeast.
2. Don't "backsweeten" and then let it ferment out. All you'll do is let the sugar ferment again, giving you a dry cider.
3. That's fine.
3 & 4. NOW is when you add some sugar (priming sugar) to carbonate the cider. You can also add some non-fermentable sugar at this time to sweeten if you don't want to risk bottle bombs and pasteurizing. let it sit about a week, before pasteurizing, if going that route. If you wait a month, the bottles will blow up long before then.
5. Or longer.