The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Ok to cork screw type wine bottles?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2010, 01:23 AM   #1
benjita
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Ok to cork screw type wine bottles?

Hi group,
I thought I would try using wine instead of beer bottles for my cider this year. I picked up a good number of bottles from a local restaurant but about two-dozen or so are twist off type bottles. Can I use the bottles? While I have your attention, please feel free to suggest a type of cork to use. Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2010, 01:30 AM   #2
Wade E
Beer Buster
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

People do it but I know someone on another forum that when he went to pull the cork the bottle shattered in his hands and cut right through a tendon. This was 3 1/2 years ago and he has just finished his last operation late last year and has lost much of his movement in that hand. These bottles arent as think where the cork goes in thus the pressure can sometimes split the bottle right there. It aint worth it so please dont do it!

Old 04-28-2010, 07:30 PM   #3
CandleWineProject
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I use wine bottles and corks all the time when I don't carbonate my cider. Wine bottles aren't made for pressure, so beer bottles are necessary for carbonation.

Old 04-29-2010, 01:57 AM   #4
benjita
Recipes 

I wasn't on planning on carbing the cider but, you're right Wade, not worth the risk. I wonder if there is less chance of broken glass injuring someone if they use something like this (http://tiny.cc/32kh0) remove the cork. I have one and both hands are on the tool with the bottle standing on the table. Any thoughts?

Quick Reply