Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Oh shi experlative

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2012, 06:37 PM   #1
bestes
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Oh shi experlative

I forgot to sanitize my secondary prior to adding my cider. I did however, sterilize, an rinse before i put it away 2 weeks ago, then rinsed it today prior to my colossal mess up. I know te risks of infection etc, what are my chances that this wil still be okay at the end?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2012, 06:48 PM   #2
UpstateMike
Recipes 

Liked 103 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestes View Post
I forgot to sanitize my secondary prior to adding my cider. I did however, sterilize, an rinse before i put it away 2 weeks ago, then rinsed it today prior to my colossal mess up. I know te risks of infection etc, what are my chances that this wil still be okay at the end?
Well, you said secondary, so what you are putting in there is already alcohol, which is an antiseptic. How long are you planning on keeping in secondary, and will you be stovetop pasteurizing soon after bottling?
"No longer drink only water, but use a little wine for your stomach’s sake and your frequent infirmities." ~ 1 Timothy 5:23

Currently Fermenting:
Skeeter Pee
Blueberry Cider

Bottle Conditioning:
None

In Bottles / Drinking:
Cranberry Cider
Citron Cider

Old 10-22-2012, 12:08 AM   #3
roadymi
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Probably be fine, could add some camden to be safe, to be safer pasteurize as Mike said.

Old 10-22-2012, 11:52 AM   #4
bestes
Recipes 

That is the plan, i was going to wait till the weekend, back-sweeten, bottle, the stove top pasteurize thanx for the advice, i was really worried that i ruined it. It tastes pretty good now, a little bitter, but damn okay

Quick Reply