Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > NY Brewer and First time Cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2009, 09:19 PM   #11
mikeysab
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 27 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 471 Times on 371 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Finally some homebrewers in NY. I knew I couldn't be the only one, but I might be the only one in the city. So a silly question from a newb. Does it have to be pasteurized cider or juice? Also, can it age in bottles, or does it have to sit in primary for a year? I only have two fermenters, and would rather not tie one of for a year. Thanks, guys.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2009, 02:33 AM   #12
JoMarky
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeysab View Post
Finally some homebrewers in NY. I knew I couldn't be the only one, but I might be the only one in the city. So a silly question from a newb. Does it have to be pasteurized cider or juice? Also, can it age in bottles, or does it have to sit in primary for a year? I only have two fermenters, and would rather not tie one of for a year. Thanks, guys.
If its not pasteurized I think standard procedure is to use campden tablets, wait some period of time for them to wear off, then pitch yeast. My cider usually doesn't last longer than 3 months. 1st month primary, 2nd month kegged, 3rd month getting drunk. My friends who bottle usually do so between 3-4 weeks and they start getting opened after 3 weeks in the bottle. There is a significant difference the first bottle and the last. I have no experience with patience so cant help you there.

Old 09-15-2009, 09:59 AM   #13
svengoat
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

What do you mean finally some home brewers in NY???LOL Been here brewing up apple wine and graff all year.. I'm about 40 mins fron toga and an hour from Albany but am in town at least once a week including today.. What's the phone number for the brewshop in Saratoga? That's alittle closer to me..

BTW I'll be dining tonight at the pump room in Albany and I hear they have a few tasty brews on tap..

Old 09-15-2009, 04:26 PM   #14
JoMarky
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

the pump station is good, their oktoberfest is good and goes quick so try and get some if they have it on tap already. across the river in troy is browns brew pub, up until recently their beers were average at best, but recently they have made some great improvements and are coming up with some really interesting ones as well, the food is good so definitely worth a try. Its an old river side brick warehouse/mill building just like the pump station.

Old 09-15-2009, 10:58 PM   #15
mikeysab
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

What I mean is that you're the first person from NY I've come across on HBT. I don't think I've come across any from NYC, and definitely nobody from Staten Island. There's so little interest, that there's not even a homebrew shop in SI or manhattan. It gets painful waiting for orders from the internet shops.

Old 09-15-2009, 11:24 PM   #16
Champurrado
Recipes 

Mr. Mikey:

We're thick as fleas here in NYC. Just look around next time you take the ferry into the City and sure as there's gum on the bottom of your shoe, there's six or eight of us home brewers sitting there reading the Post along with you. I've been hearing of a startup brew supply that set up in Brooklyn within the last few weeks. Try WWW.BROOKLYN-HOMEBREW.com.

Old 09-16-2009, 12:58 AM   #17
mikeysab
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I'm sure there are, but I don't know any. I've been searching high and low for a LHBS, and there certainly aren't any on Staten Island, and I've found one listed on Yellowbook.com that's out of business. There are a few in Brooklyn, which I've heard are garbage, so I guess that only leaves jersey. I need a place in a pinch, but I guess I'll just have to stock up on stuff, as it seems there aren't any places close by. Thanks for the info, i'll check it out. Or should I say salamat.

Old 09-16-2009, 03:37 AM   #18
dap325
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If you have not yet brewed a batch of Brandon O's Graff yet, I highly recommend it. Recipe is easily found on the forums. I did mine with Fuggles hops and Nottingham yeast and it came out great. Apple season in NY is gonna have me trying the simple cider recipe mentioned here next... 5 gals cider, 2lbs brown sugar and white labs cider yeast. The possibilities are endless in NY in the fall when it comes to apple anything. Good luck!

Quick Reply