Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Nothern Spy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2012, 04:09 PM   #1
sashurlow
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default Nothern Spy

I love this apple and had good luck using it as 1/3 of a blend once. I'm going to finnish off my apples this year with a bunch of it. Does anyone else use it? Has anyone done a pure cider from it?
I don't hear it mentioned that much here and I wonder why.
Scott

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2012, 12:49 AM   #2
LeBreton
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 3

N. Spy is a great cider apple. I've used it up to 90% of a blend with success along with a aromatic compliment. Has a very subtle taste. Alone, it makes for a very light, crisp cider with flirty undertones. But when paired with spicy/smoked foods this apple explodes into a burst of flavor and character as those hidden flavors come to the surface.

I suspect that the Spy was historically used as a sharp cider apple with secondary use as a cooker. It's dual use allowed it to survive the prohibition purges when Americans literally destroyed many other classic cider apple varieties.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply