Not sure if this is the right place... but hard lemonade...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Windaria

Reaction score
OK... with 2 6 gallon hard ciders and 1 1 gallon cranberry/grape going, I figured I would try a hard lemonade, but use pink lemonade. Now, I figured the acid would be a problem, so I added some of that what... potassium carbonate, about 2 tbsp when all was said and done, because it kept foaming at an awesome rate (still does). Afterward I added about a cup of sugar and it started foaming all over again... should it foam with sugar? I only wanted to add the sugar to make sure it was sweet since the potasium seemed to foam out sweet, so I figured it was losing sugars. I don't know... thoughts?

Anyway, what do you consider drinks made of lemons, blackberries, etc? I mean ciders and wines seem to be made the same, yet they go by different names (from what I can tell) purely based on the fruit used... so what do you call the others? Is there a different category that I should post this too?

Generally, cider means mainly apple juice (75%), perry means mainly pear juice. Most fruit wines are partially grape juice (it's cheap). If there's just a little fruit, it's fruit flavored. Lots of fruit, they go by the fruit name and don't mention the grapes. I've gotten the impression most hard lemonades add the lemon and sugar after the ferment or are nothing more than lemonade with some neutral grain spirits (AKA cheap vodka).

I suspect other countries with longer fermentation histories have a lot of names for various combinations. Grappa is a good example. Fermented off of grape skins and distilled to remove the methanol.

Back