Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > noob questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2009, 05:20 PM   #1
tndave
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default noob questions

I have several two quart jars full of apple juice that my maw-in-law made for my wife to make jelly with. Well, we have enough jelly for several years and I want to make hard cider with the juice. It is still pretty and hasn’t turned dark, but there is a Lot of pulp in the bottom of the jars.

I am planning to use gallon water jugs with a stopper and S type air lock…is that ok? I am using all of my fermentors and carboys for beer.

So I am wondering if I just leave the pulp or if I try to strain it or what.

Also we have several gallons of homemade pear juice the same way. Would that make good cider or wine?

We also have some muscadine juice. I know I have heard of muscadine wine. We are not big wine drinkers but it would be a shame for it to go to waste…

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve
neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin, 1759

'Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it'--Ronald Reagan

'Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other.'--Ronald Reagan

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2009, 05:50 PM   #2
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tndave View Post
I am planning to use gallon water jugs with a stopper and S type air lock…is that ok? I am using all of my fermentors and carboys for beer.
Sure, no problem there. You could also just use sanitized tinfoil, which works just as well.

Quote:
So I am wondering if I just leave the pulp or if I try to strain it or what.
I'd probably strain the pulp, but others might tell you not to. Maybe do a few with pulp and a few without.

Quote:
Also we have several gallons of homemade pear juice the same way. Would that make good cider or wine?
Nope. Cider comes from apples, wine from grapes, and a fermented beverage made from pears is called Perry. I've never tried it myself, but it does sounds pretty tasty. Unfortunately, there isn't a whole ton of info on HBT about perry, but you could probably dig up some if you tried hard enough. If not, here's a link to another site with a bit of info: The Real Cider and Perry Page

Quote:
We also have some muscadine juice. I know I have heard of muscadine wine. We are not big wine drinkers but it would be a shame for it to go to waste…
I have no idea what a muscadine is. I would have guessed a type of fish.

But hey, if it's a fruit than it's probably fermentable. Try it out, experiment, go wild. Worst case scenario, it tastes like crap but you learn something. Best case scenario, it tastes awesome and you've sparked the next big thing!

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go figure out what the hell a muscadine is.

Old 03-28-2009, 05:59 PM   #3
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 27 Posts

Update:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
The muscadine berries range from bronze to dark purple to black in color when ripe. They have skin sufficiently tough that eating the raw fruit often involves biting a small hole in the skin to suck out the pulp inside. Muscadines are not only eaten fresh, but also are used in making wine, juice, and jelly.
Apparently someone's made wine from muscadine before. Good luck, I hope that comes out tasty!

Old 03-29-2009, 03:08 PM   #4
Tusch
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

I would disagree in saying wine is made from grapes considering how many of my wines are not made from grapes. But yeah as llama said, pear juice makes perry, I haven't tried it but it is supposed to be great. I say you ferment it all, and in the end call it what you want. And the pulp, I'd leave it in, but that's just me as llama said, everyone has their own preferences.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:44 PM   #5
siecode
Recipes 

Im new to this forum but thought I would chime in re: Perry
I've been making perry from my own pear trees for years, I have always had excellent results, with less chance of an off batch then my apple ciders. The SP is quite alot higher then apple juice, but the end alcohol % on par, or even lower then my apple cider, due to unfermentable sugars. The result is usually a nice (tad sweeter) drink.
I try to make mine as dry as possible and always carbonate.

Old 04-01-2009, 04:26 AM   #6
tndave
Recipes 

What kind of yeast do you use? I had bought Safeale s-04 for the cider, but haven't done anything yet.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve
neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin, 1759

'Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it'--Ronald Reagan

'Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other.'--Ronald Reagan

Old 04-02-2009, 01:05 AM   #7
pintocb
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I just started a perry tonight. I'll check in to see how yours is going.

Quick Reply