Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > NOOB Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2009, 01:07 AM   #1
Sonnyjim
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts

Default NOOB Questions

Hey guys, I've spent the last few nights on youtube and here on the site checking out a bunch of info on Hard Cider. I normally brew AG but enjoy a good cider on occasion so I thought I would try making my own. Anyways, onto the noob questions.

#1. Straight up. Can I buy say 4L of Cider(no preservatives), toss in some ale yeast, put on a stopper and leave it for a month in my closet and haveit taste good?

#2. How do I bottle carbonate this stuff. From what I've read you can't reactivate the yearst like beer. Or if you could find the link on the forums I will check that out.

#3. What happens if you use an apple juice with preservatives(just curious)

#4. Without adding concentrate or brown sugar/white sugar can I still get between 3-5%?

I don't plan on making a lot of this stuff, just about 1Gallon to try it out. Thanks for all the comments to come. Cheers.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2009, 01:16 AM   #2
polecreek
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

1. yes
2. I force carb.
3. It works (no pasturized)
4. depends on the O.G.
I could be wrong but I will go with these.

Old 02-24-2009, 01:35 AM   #3
Tusch
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

1: yes
2: Bottle carbonate just like beer, 1 oz of priming sugar per gallon, boiled in just enough water to dissolve, toss it in the bottling bucket, rack your cider on top, bottle away.
2: You will have issues fermenting anything with preservatives. Some have ahd success, but not often and its tricky.
3: Straight juice alone will be in the 1.040-1.060 range. This will lead you to a range of 5-8%.

Keep in mind, almost any yeast will take cider to dryness. Some ale and wheat beer yeasts will leave you in the 1.000-1.010 range and most other yeast will leave you in the .990-1.000, but if you are expecting woodchuck sweetness, there is more involved. Such as nonfermentable sugars, stabilizing, force carbing, cold crashing, all sorts of trickier options.

Old 02-24-2009, 01:43 AM   #4
Sonnyjim
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts

Well, those answers work perfectly for me thanks guys.

Old 02-24-2009, 02:14 AM   #5
Snuffalupagus
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

QUOTE=Sonnyjim;1154366]Hey guys, I've spent the last few nights on youtube and here on the site checking out a bunch of info on Hard Cider. I normally brew AG but enjoy a good cider on occasion so I thought I would try making my own. Anyways, onto the noob questions.

#1. Straight up. Can I buy say 4L of Cider(no preservatives), toss in some ale yeast, put on a stopper and leave it for a month in my closet and haveit taste good?
yes, sir! (give it a little age time before you drink it after fermentation is over - but yeah... that's the gist of it)

#2. How do I bottle carbonate this stuff. From what I've read you can't reactivate the yearst like beer. Or if you could find the link on the forums I will check that out.

Like beer, as long as you haven't reached the maximum ABV your yeast will survive at- a little priming sugar or a 16 ounce can of concentrate into the bottling bucket will have your cider sparkling in about 1-2 weeks.

The world will explode -so don't do it... j/k if it even gets started fermenting... it's gonna take FOREVER

#4. Without adding concentrate or brown sugar/white sugar can I still get between 3-5%?
depending on the sugar content of the juice you use it should -probably right about 3.5 -4 on avarage... but whats the fun in something that has the same kick as a bud light?!

I don't plan on making a lot of this stuff, just about 1Gallon to try it out. Thanks for all the comments to come. Cheers.[/QUOTE]

Drinking: "All Apple" Apfelwein, Mixed Berry Country wine, Blueberry Belgian White ale.

comming to a carboy near you...
Redhook ESB clone

Old 02-24-2009, 01:31 PM   #6
SegmentedMonkey
Recipes 

This seems to be the only one still up for debate. I was concerned about this one when I made my first cider, also. I bought unpasteurized cider from a local farm market, and was a little nervous about the ingredients. There were only two ingredients listed, they were "Apple juice" and "Potassium Sorbate". Now I know potassium sorbate is used to kill off yeast when brewing. I decided to try it anyway, since it was cheap, and I was only making a small batch.

Now, I know that this is anecdotal evidence, at best, and that your mileage may vary. When I pitched my ale yeast into the cider with some extra sugar to bring it up to 1.060, I've never had a fermentation start that quickly, or be that energetic. Within twelve hours it was bubbling stiffer than any beer, wine or mead I'd ever made.

Again, this was my experience and yours may differ depending on amount of preservatives, type of preservatives and viability of your yeast.

Old 02-24-2009, 03:24 PM   #7
wreckinball9
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SegmentedMonkey View Post
Now I know potassium sorbate is used to kill off yeast when brewing. I decided to try it anyway, since it was cheap, and I was only making a small batch.

Now, I know that this is anecdotal evidence, at best, and that your mileage may vary. When I pitched my ale yeast into the cider with some extra sugar to bring it up to 1.060, I've never had a fermentation start that quickly, or be that energetic. Within twelve hours it was bubbling stiffer than any beer, wine or mead I'd ever made.

Again, this was my experience and yours may differ depending on amount of preservatives, type of preservatives and viability of your yeast.
thats interesting. what strain of yeast was it? (and is it liquid or dry yeast? )did you make a starter?

You must love this country more than I love a cold beer on a hot Christmas morning. - Homer S.

And how is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?- Homer S.

Old 02-24-2009, 06:23 PM   #8
SegmentedMonkey
Recipes 

It was a Cooper's Ale Yeast, dry. I picked it up at my local HBS. To start it, I simply dissolved the yeast in a cup or so of the warm cider, and let it sit on counter for an hour or so. By the time I got the rest of the must ready for the yeast, the cup overfloweth with pale tan foam.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:40 PM   #9
Tusch
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

That is down right shocking.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:44 PM   #10
wreckinball9
Recipes 

seriously thats ridonculous

You must love this country more than I love a cold beer on a hot Christmas morning. - Homer S.

And how is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?- Homer S.

Quick Reply