The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Noob cider questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2011, 06:06 PM   #1
Slaquor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Noob cider questions

Ok I just wanted to verify everything I know and think to make this work:

I have exactly 5 gallons of Treetop 100% apple juice sitting around. No preservatives, but it is pasteurized.

I have tons of table sugar.

I have safale-05 yeast from an IPA I did before.

First how much sugar should one add initially? Is safale-05 gonna work, or should I buy something else?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2011, 06:23 PM   #2
SaltyTX
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

can't answer the yeast..I used london ale III from Wyeast and liked it. Currently using safale-04 and not a fan yet. Its clear, but sulfur-ey

you need to use your hydro to get a good SG going, perhaps 1.055 +/-

I used brown sugar. About a pound I think....whatever is required for the sg to be where you want it to be.

Old 01-24-2011, 12:19 PM   #3
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 684 Times on 486 Posts
Likes Given: 1682

Try 1 or 2 lbs added sugar (though you don't have to add any if you don't want to) & yes the safale s05 will work just fine. Regards, GF.

Old 01-29-2011, 06:16 AM   #4
Slaquor
Recipes 

Alright so I used 2 lbs brown sugar, and 5 gallons treetop apple juice (no preservatives).

I used some safale-05 I washed from an IPA. Made a starter, and took a sample and tasted the starter, tasted great!

I did this on 1-24.

Now I'm starting to get a little worried. The airlock is still bubbling away, no signs of slowing.

The cider went from a normal apple juice color, to a orangish brown, which I think is to be expected.

The air coming out of the airlock smells like sour apples.

On one side of the carboy you can see some bubbles coming up but that is all. It never got a large krausen, and the surface of the cider has never actually been covered with bubbles/krausen.

Now I did take the gravity of my starter and compared it to the regular apple juice. Regular apple juice is 1.05, and my starter was 1.04 so im pretty certain that there was active fermentation goin on in my starter.

With my airlock goin like it is I would have to assume there is pretty good fermentation goin on. What I am concerned about is the sour apple smell, and the fact that I never got a good krausen.

Should I be worried??

Old 01-29-2011, 06:54 AM   #5
bhambrewer
Recipes 

No.

Many of my ciders dont bubble up big at all. It depends on the cider. Some bubble alot, others dont.

The fact your getting fermentation is all you need to know. It will ferment out.

I followed this recipe exactly, but used a different yeast and my cider didnt bubble like theirs did. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/samm...-cider-203224/

From what I know, its all about the yeast.

Old 01-29-2011, 09:21 AM   #6
dinnerstick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 212 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 21

it sounds completely normal. just leave it alone for a good month

Old 01-30-2011, 09:45 PM   #7
mikeysab
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 26 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 432 Times on 341 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Yeah, you're gonna need to condition that awhile. using the simple sugar, it tends to be very thin and not appley. This will go away after awhile. I did a sugar bomb over a year ago and it's very good now. It was barely drinkable hooch for about 8 to ten months, but then again, my OG was 1.100. But even ciders I've made since then with simple sugars tend to be thin and don't taste much of apple. What you should probably do is use some LME, or DME instead of sugar, whether brown or white. Something more along the lines of Brandon O's graff. His explanation of the use of simple vs complex sugars makes a lot of sense.

I just put together a batch of graff using 10 lbs of MO 3/4 lb of c80, and 1/2 lb carafoam with 4 galloins of AJ. I've done one graff before and it wasn't nearly as thin as the cider with brown sugar, or white sugar.

Mikeysab on untappd.

Quick Reply