Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > No liquid in airlock

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2009, 04:48 AM   #1
dutchboy62
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default No liquid in airlock

Ok so I made a batch of hard cider last year and did like a good boy and forgot about it. Lets just say I got busy and wasnt making any wine or cider for a while and when I went down to the basement I noticed the airlock was out of fluid. So my question is the cider ruined. My understanding is that as long as it is not vinegary it is good. Can anybody let me know for sure. I tasted it and it seem fine. As long as it tastes alright it is ok it should be fine right?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2009, 04:50 AM   #2
Nurmey
I love making Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 6

You are correct! If it's bad it will be evident immediately by the smell and taste.

Old 01-03-2009, 06:06 AM   #3
nickmpower
Recipes 

hmm, i had to leave mine for 3 weeks, and used vodka, and have a pretty small airlock. This makes me nervous

Old 01-03-2009, 12:33 PM   #4
guscampag
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I am real new at this, but if you leave the red top on the airlock, wouldn't that pretty much protect it from most airborne stuff? Obviously, not as good as liquid, but wouldn't it work?

Old 01-03-2009, 01:30 PM   #5
dutchboy62
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmpower View Post
hmm, i had to leave mine for 3 weeks, and used vodka, and have a pretty small airlock. This makes me nervous
i wouldnt worry to much mine was left for months

Old 01-04-2009, 02:41 AM   #6
JoeSponge
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Even tho' the airlock went empty, it probably kept any external air out -- that's the key, you won't want any floaters to enter ontio your carefully prepared culture. It had been filled with water, and the CO2 generated the bubbles, hopefully displacing any regular air in the chamber. The chamber was filled w/ yeast burps, heavier than air, anyway.. Even with the water gone, the available opening is very small, and the chance of external yeasts, bacteria, etc. getting in is probably very small. I think you're safe.

Put some more H2O in the top chamber and monitor it for a while... it's probably aged well. Please email us samples.

I wish I had your patience.

Oh my gosh, but cider's neat.
Taste's so sweet, it can't be beat.
Good in the cold or in the heat.
Oh my gosh, but cider's neat!

Quick Reply