Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > no fermentation with safale us-05

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2011, 02:43 PM   #1
xkristoferx
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default no fermentation with safale us-05

Hi all! This is my first post here. I've been brewing ales for several months and I decided to give ciders making a go. I went to my local homebrew store and they suggested safale us-05. I bought two gallons of Whitehouse Apple Cider. I add 1/4 brown sugar to 1 gallon carboy and 1/2 apple juice concentrate to the another with the cider. I pitched about 1/4 of the pack of yeast into each of my 1 gallon carboys and after 5 days I am getting zero signs of fermentation. I didn't add any yeast nutrients. Should I have? I'm a little confused to what my next step should be. Should I not have used apple cider and just gone with regular apple juice? Help...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2011, 02:45 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4359 Times on 3169 Posts
Likes Given: 848

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkristoferx View Post
Hi all! This is my first post here. I've been brewing ales for several months and I decided to give ciders making a go. I went to my local homebrew store and they suggested safale us-05. I bought two gallons of Whitehouse Apple Cider. I add 1/4 brown sugar to 1 gallon carboy and 1/2 apple juice concentrate to the another with the cider. I pitched about 1/4 of the pack of yeast into each of my 1 gallon carboys and after 5 days I am getting zero signs of fermentation. I didn't add any yeast nutrients. Should I have? I'm a little confused to what my next step should be. Should I not have used apple cider and just gone with regular apple juice? Help...
Look at the package of the cider, to ensure there is not sodium benzoate or potassium sorbate (preservatives). If there aren't any preservatives, it'll go! 1/4 package isn't much, but it should be enough to get it going.

Old 12-17-2011, 02:48 PM   #3
xkristoferx
Recipes 

I double checked on the apple packaging and on their website and I saw nothing about any preservatives at all. I thought of that at first but I can't find any thing....

Old 12-17-2011, 02:51 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

How many days has it been? I did a cider with 05 recently and it took a couple days for it to get going. Same with a sweetpotato mead I made. We talk about a 72 hour lag time with yeasts anyway, and with higher grav stuff it sometimes takes a bit longer anyway.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-17-2011, 03:00 PM   #5
xkristoferx
Recipes 

it's been about 5 days and i'm getting zero signs of fermenation. only thing that has changed is a thin film on the bottom of each carboy.

btw this is the Apple Cider i used.

White House Foods - 128oz White House Apple Cider

Old 12-17-2011, 03:05 PM   #6
xkristoferx
Recipes 

Its been 5 days...

Old 12-17-2011, 03:06 PM   #7
Revvy

Recipes 

Can you take a grav reading? I would check grav and add more of that packet of yeast to it.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-17-2011, 03:09 PM   #8
xkristoferx
Recipes 

That's a good idea. Should I add some yeast nutrients today?

Fyi, this is the juice I used.

http://www.whitehousefoods.com/Products/Apple-Juice/128oz-White-House-Apple-Cider.aspx

Old 12-17-2011, 03:13 PM   #9
Revvy

Recipes 

Yeah it wouldn't hurt at all.

Old 12-17-2011, 03:18 PM   #10
xkristoferx
Recipes 

Thank you! I'll check the gravity and take it from there.

Quick Reply