Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > no cider for us this year...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2012, 02:30 PM   #1
dr_al
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default no cider for us this year...

the local place got hammered by the early warm weather freeze, they lost the whole crop, they are outsourcing from other local growers but a gallon in 9.99 half gallon is 5.99.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2012, 02:43 PM   #2
LeBreton
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 3

That sucks, I feel your pain. Pretty much the same story all over although those prices are the most expensive I've seen yet.

Old 10-07-2012, 09:08 PM   #3
roadymi
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Come to the middle of the mitten. I just bought 35 gallons bulk today from my local mill. They are importing also but they filled my barrels for 6.50 a gallon. They were pressing all the varieties on hand. Mix included Red delicious, golden delicious, Jonagold, Macintosh, cortland, ida red, and northern spy.

OG was shockingly (to me anyways) high at 1.064 which gives me potential abv of around 9.25% if I ferment dry.

Old 10-07-2012, 10:05 PM   #4
dr_al
Recipes 

i only stopped at Uncle Johns by St. Johns.

Old 10-08-2012, 01:25 AM   #5
LeBreton
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadymi View Post
Come to the middle of the mitten. I just bought 35 gallons bulk today from my local mill. They are importing also but they filled my barrels for 6.50 a gallon. They were pressing all the varieties on hand. Mix included Red delicious, golden delicious, Jonagold, Macintosh, cortland, ida red, and northern spy.

OG was shockingly (to me anyways) high at 1.064 which gives me potential abv of around 9.25% if I ferment dry.

Good to hear this season worked out ok for ya buddy!

Wonder where the fruit was grown to hit that ABV. In the east, VA, MD or southern PA possibly. The west coast had a great apple crop this year and a late season hail storm pushed a lot of fruit destined to be grocery quality into juice production due to cosmetic damage.

I'm curious, can anybody give a 'typical' OG for west coast (WA & OR) apples?

Old 10-08-2012, 01:53 AM   #6
RugenBrau
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I'm in the Finger Lakes region of NY and the local crop was reduced by about 80%. Last year I could get cider for 2.50/gal. if I purchased 50 gallons throughout the season. This year it is 5.25 ouch!

"Your HYDROMETER is the only BEST indicator of fermentation activity. Nothing else is accurate or consistent"...Revvy

Old 10-08-2012, 02:27 AM   #7
roadymi
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_al View Post
i only stopped at Uncle Johns by St. Johns.
You just missed the mill I go to. Uncle Johns is great for the tourists but everything is priced high. Phillips orchard is just a mile or two north of uncle johns and a few miles to the west. They have a sign on the highway. They will fill your bulk containers for 6.50 / gallon. Last year it was 3.75

Old 10-08-2012, 02:33 AM   #8
roadymi
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBreton View Post

Good to hear this season worked out ok for ya buddy!

Wonder where the fruit was grown to hit that ABV. In the east, VA, MD or southern PA possibly. The west coast had a great apple crop this year and a late season hail storm pushed a lot of fruit destined to be grocery quality into juice production due to cosmetic damage.

I'm curious, can anybody give a 'typical' OG for west coast (WA & OR) apples?
It worked out ok just had too spend too much $$$

I'll find out where they got the apples. Curious myself. I don't keep the best records but I was thinking my og was closer to 1.05 last year.

I'm making 15 gallons of cyser with premier cuvee, 15 gallons plain cider with nottingham, and 5 gallons naturally fermented. I am fermenting in my garage which should be in the 50's and below from here on out. Nice and slow.
I will rack in the spring into 5 gallon carboys and add various flavorings then.

Old 10-08-2012, 02:44 AM   #9
b-boy
16%er
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 491 Times on 354 Posts
Likes Given: 141

I ended up doing half cider and half apple juice concentrate. It was a lot cheaper. I hope it comes out OK. I had a hard time finding preservative free cider though.

Never underestimate the potential of someone who refuses to act their age.

Old 10-08-2012, 02:57 AM   #10
dr_al
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadymi View Post
You just missed the mill I go to. Uncle Johns is great for the tourists but everything is priced high. Phillips orchard is just a mile or two north of uncle johns and a few miles to the west. They have a sign on the highway. They will fill your bulk containers for 6.50 / gallon. Last year it was 3.75
i saw their sign and i need to stop their, UJ has become quite the pricy place, we always stop though my parents have been taking me since i was born, back when it was just the big barn.

now im 35 and we started to take our kids just to see if we could catch the press running. i have yet to put any effort into research for mill's i just started making hard cider 2 years ago and i have yet to use ereal cider i was practacing on cheap wally world juice and people like that so the real thing should be much be even better

Quick Reply