Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > No Carbonation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2012, 09:51 PM   #1
CNewell
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default No Carbonation

I fermented a 3 gallon batch of cider (3 gallons Musselmans cider from walmart with 2lbs of brown sugar and pitched Nottingham yeast) to an FG of 1.000 (sat in carboy for 5 weeks). I didn't measure the OG, so I don't know what kind of ABV I'm looking at. When I bottled (used 22oz bottles) I added 2 cans of apple juice concentrate to sweeten it in the bucket. They didn't have anything in them that would kill the yeast, all that was added was vitamin C (ascorbic acid). I thought the sugar included in the canned concentrate would be enough for the yeast to eat and create carbonation, however, 4 weeks later, I still don't have any. Was I crazy in thinking this would work? My guess was that there isn't enough sugar in them to create the carbonation, but I don't know) Anyone have a guess of ABV with 3 gallons cider and 2lbs brown sugar? Thoughts?

Drinking: Belgian White

Total Batches Drank: 4

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2012, 09:59 PM   #2
Pickled_Pepper
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Without knowing the original gravity, it's possible you drowned the little yeasties in a toxic alcohol bath. 2 lbs of sugar in 3 gallons of juice might have pushed them to their limits. Of course I'm just guessing at this point. There should have been enough sugar in cans of concentrate to prime 3 gallons.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:37 PM   #3
CNewell
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickled_Pepper View Post
Without knowing the original gravity, it's possible you drowned the little yeasties in a toxic alcohol bath. 2 lbs of sugar in 3 gallons of juice might have pushed them to their limits. Of course I'm just guessing at this point. There should have been enough sugar in cans of concentrate to prime 3 gallons.
Thats true, could have been the case. Would they still be able to ferment it to 1.000 if they were too intoxicated? Maybe that was their breaking point?

Old 04-11-2012, 10:44 PM   #4
GinKings
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

I would also guess that the Notty may be at it's limit. You might be lucky that it didn't carbonate. There is enough sugar in two cans of concentrate to cause bottle bombs. Probably 3-4 times more than you needed.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:56 PM   #5
CNewell
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinKings View Post
I would also guess that the Notty may be at it's limit. You might be lucky that it didn't carbonate. There is enough sugar in two cans of concentrate to cause bottle bombs. Probably 3-4 times more than you needed.
I just "tried" to estimate my OG using the P.P.G. system and came up with a 1.072. Seeing as how it fermented out to 1.000, that would put my ABV around 9.6%. Notty should be able to do 11-13% easy. I originally bottled it that way so when it became carbonated to my liking, I would stovetop pasteurize.

Old 04-12-2012, 11:28 AM   #6
Pickled_Pepper
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNewell View Post
Thats true, could have been the case. Would they still be able to ferment it to 1.000 if they were too intoxicated? Maybe that was their breaking point?
It is definitely odd that you got it down to 1.000 and it didn't carbonate in the bottle. What temperature are the bottles conditioning at? Is it possible they are in a cool location and they are just moving along slowly?

As GinKings suggested, I'd still keep an eye on them...If they somehow kick into carbing, they could be bombs.

Old 04-13-2012, 03:43 AM   #7
CNewell
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickled_Pepper View Post
It is definitely odd that you got it down to 1.000 and it didn't carbonate in the bottle. What temperature are the bottles conditioning at? Is it possible they are in a cool location and they are just moving along slowly?

As GinKings suggested, I'd still keep an eye on them...If they somehow kick into carbing, they could be bombs.
They are conditioning at 68*. I open one every so often just to check if it has carbonated, no luck so far. The one good thing is that even though it isn't carbonated, it is still drinkable. A little green and tart, but still drinkable. Should be good a few months down the road.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:37 AM   #8
Nine_Notches
Recipes 

I've had similar issues with my first three batches, my OGs were 1.060 with FG ranging from 1.000 to 1.012. I've tried champagne yeast and S-04 and they are stored in a warm location. All have taken two months to reach an acceptable level of carb. I posted earlier about it but never received any real answer as to why it has taken so long. I've read so many post in this forum with others having good carb after only 5 -7 days. Not sure why I am different.

I suggest leaving it another month and then check.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:30 AM   #9
jkoegel
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

My very first batch was also a 3 gal. I used a pound of brown sugar and 12oz of molasses. Lalvin EC-1118 for yeast. Instead of concentrate I put in 3/8 cup of corn sugar. I have no doubt the yeast ate up everything I gave it to eat but I was still left with next to no carbonation in the 22oz bottles.

2 cans of concentrate is definitely adequate sugar to carbonate a 3 gal batch and then some. It will certainly over carbonate if the yeast ever takes off. Keep an eye on them and keep checking.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:43 PM   #10
CNewell
Recipes 

Thanks for all the replies. I was hoping someone would spot the reason why I don't have carbonation, but it really is a freak thing...

Quick Reply