The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > No bubbles after 7 days

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2011, 05:21 PM   #1
douganman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default No bubbles after 7 days

Hey, this is my first attempt at bewing cider after converting from red and white wines which went rather well. My problem is that i decided to buy young's u brew cider kit (partly so i can have a dedicated kit for cider while brewing wine) and after following the instructions all seemed to be going well.
Now after 7 days there is completley no bubbling and my hydrometer is measuring 1.020 yet i was expecting below 1.000.

Im a bit confused as to what to do now, leave it for a bit longer and hope my reading drops? put it into the 5 gal pressurised barrel?

Im probably being naiive, worrying because the wine acted as expected but the thought of 5 gal's of funky apple juice rather than cider is worrying indeed!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2011, 05:29 PM   #2
ihomebrewing
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

What was your OG, fermentation temperature, yeast strain, and did you add nutrients?

Give it a taste, and see if you like it.

You don't want to leave it on the yeast for too extended of a time, or you may get more congeners in it. Although, that might be to your tastes.

Relax. Don't panic. Have a hard cider

Old 02-06-2011, 05:29 PM   #3
juslod
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 10

What was the OG? I made a cider a few months ago that dropped to about 1.025 in a few days but it took almost a month to drop far below that.

Old 02-06-2011, 05:39 PM   #4
douganman
Recipes 

I wrote it somewhere but i cant remember exactly somewhere around the 1.035-40 range, but as i said thats a guesstimate.

Say i somehow managed to kill the yeast or some other kind of disaster, what other steps could i take to get some form of drinkable alcoholic beverage out of it, more yeast? im displaying my true novice side with this

Thanks for the speedy replies though

Quick Reply